Thread: Layers Deleted Despite Saving

Layers Deleted Despite Saving

I've been working on a project for days now and have been making sure to save frequently. However, when it crashed today, most of my layers were no where to be found. I wasn't in the middle of saving when it crashed so that couldn't have corrupted it, and layers that were there when I opened it last are gone too. Is there any way to recover them, and if not what could have caused this?

Sorry to hear about the problem. When you save on iOS the painting is saved to a file then written out to the gallery location, so even if there is a crash during save it should not delete the original. If you go to the gallery, is the painting there with its data intact?

If the app shuts down prematurely (either because of a crash or because you manually shut it down by swiping it up off the top of the screen from the app manager) then there is a chance that the temporary file was not able to save properly. The temporary file is the version you're actively painting including any unsaved changes. If you saved that blank file after re-loading then it may have overwritten the original but there isn't any way for ArtRage to automatically overwrite your original file so it should still be in the gallery.

It's a good thing I avoided touching anything after noticing the issue. Exiting and reopening the painting did seem to recover everything. Thanks for the help.