Thread: ArtRage 3 Studio Pro not working in High Sierra

Unhappy ArtRage 3 Studio Pro not working in High Sierra

Hello there.

Resintalled my iMac last week with High Sierra. Wanted to resinstall my old ArtRage 5.0.3, did so from an old save I had. Now I usually past objects into ArtRage from Illustrator all the time. Worked like a charm and helped my workflow a ton. Suddenly, with the newly resinstalled HighSierra, it does not anymore. Only get code/text pasted into the my artrage drawings. Exporting everything out of Illustrator and then importing into AR is not really a workaround as it takes so long. So I figured I just install the latest update from AR and use the nifty Pro Version.

And I got a pop up from Apple saying that the publisher needs to update the App to work on OSX and I only get greyed out Menus in ArtRage. See attached Screenshots.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-28 um 15.35.09.png 
Views:	238 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	97192

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-28 um 15.35.25.png 
Views:	236 
Size:	174.3 KB 
ID:	97193

So yeah, I could use some help here please. I use the combo ArtRage / Illustrator as my main pipeline for my Illustration work and atm I feel severly crippled.
    Thank y´all very much in advance. cheers.

OSX 10.13.6
    ArtRage 5.0.3
    Adobe Illustrator CC (2019)

So I got my ArtRage 5 working again but this is the error message I m getting. Again, it worked well last week under OSX High Sierra before I reinstalled my system for other problems and its High Sierra again but now this

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-28 um 16.01.37 (2).jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	97194

https://i.imgur.com/zBo0O7K.gif

Illustrator creates vector objects by default and that looks like a vector object descriptor. Because ArtRage has never allowed the pasting of vector objects and we haven't changed anything in our paste process my best guess is that either a change in the OS means that the clipboard is favouring pasting the text definition over any bitmap version stored in there, or that Illustrator is not providing a bitmap version of the object to the clipboard.

If you take a look at Illustrator you can probably find some way to copy bitmap versions of your vector objects to the clipboard (I don't use Illustrator enough to know offhand what that might be, but a quick check online seems to suggest it's possible). That should allow ArtRage to locate the bitmap version when pasting and apply that.

Hope that helps!

why dont you allow pasting of vectors??? Anyway, that tip with the bitmap helped me find the solution. Turned off svg in clipboard handling and now it works. Thank you!!!

BUT, why is my ArtRage Pro not working on High Sierrea plz?
    Last edited by whitebbwolf; 01-29-2019 at 11:32 AM.

ArtRage doesn't have any vector tools, it only support bitmaps, so there has to be a bitmap representation of the vector object for it to paste.

In some situations an app will store both on the clipboard when you copy the original vector (like how when you copy a Layer in ArtRage we store an internal PTG style layer with all its paint data as well as a flat bitmap version). This allows you to paste in to apps that don't support one of the formats. But in this case it sounds like Illustrator was only storing the vector descriptor.

ArtRage Studio Pro hasn't been supported for a number of years now, it's likely that changes in the operating system have rendered it inoperable. You could try downloading the latest installer from our Member Area in case you have an earlier version and the last version works, but I suspect it's unlikely as there have been many changes in macOS and older products may stop working as a result.

ah okay, so the ArtRage5 IS the latest and greatest version ?

And while I have you on the line, why cant I paste / expand text into the ArtRage context menues like when I save a new file or an existing one with a different name?
    That is really annoying in every day work. Every other app I run I can expand my macros for the names of my files, just not ArtRage. Always have to type in the name
    for the file manually. That just seems an unneccasary obstacle. Can you help me there too please?

Not sure I understand what you mean by pasting text in to Context Menus? If you use Save As in the File Menu to save a file with a different name you should just be able to paste in to the file dialog as it's just a standard OS file dialog. Drop a note to [email protected] describing exactly what you are doing and what you are seeing happen and we can do some troubleshooting with you.