Thread: PTG file on OS (desktop) to WD mycloud or icloud then to iOS

PTG file on OS (desktop) to WD mycloud or icloud then to iOS

I have some files I saved in PTG desktop ArtRage and would like to open them in ArtRage in iOS
    First off I found these older files on a HD and dragged these to my cloud WD mycloud.

I have downloaded from the WD mycloud into the iOS and their in files on iOS.

I tried opening no joy, tired importing no joy.

I suspect the desktop version are bigger than tiny IPP can handle any other thoughts ?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B786CF27-4CF4-48BC-B75A-640995A6DF4C.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	208.2 KB 
ID:	96710

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3A7107C7-8D47-46D5-93EE-79E735775275.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	96711
    another file and it appears this is the issue.
    Any work arounds here ?
    Other than resizing in desktop environment ?

Also question has to be asked what is max size for (desktop ArtRage) iPad Pro 12.9 I’m not so pro more a tablet iOS
    I suspect I have to re size on desktop ArtRage and export the total of 2.9 gigs of files oh boy iOS and I not so friendly these days

The maximum canvas size for the iPad is 2048 x 2048 pixel, and for the iPad Pro it's 4096 x 4096 pixels so resizing on the desktop to be within these limits would be the only thing I can think of here to allow those files to be loaded on the iPad.

If you still have problems please feel free to contact us directly at www.artrage.com/get-support , we'll be happy to help.

Ok will do Dave,

I have a play and see if I can get some work flow working between iOS and the wd my cloud drive.

If I have a problem I email direct re sizes.

Quick question on size Dave,

See screen grab re sizes and maybe you can help ( I have a IPP)
    This I can open as a single layer in art rage and all layers in procreate.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 10.23.35.png
Views: 2759
Size:  293.6 KB

Unfortunately ArtRage for iPad doesn't support PSD at this time so it won't be able to open a layered version of the image.

I'm not sure how you're opening the file in the iPad version at all actually, although as PSD tends to store a single layer preview of the entire image it's possible that either iOS or our own import code is reading that and providing it to the application.

Hello Matt,

I downloaded the file from my wd drive to the IPP and open with, option.

In the end I thought something wrong here no layers as it did open in AR. (As a single file)

Using the desktop AR which I built this drawing I'm sure desktop AR can open PSD's ?

The IOS AR was unable to open the file in PTG as the file was 6000 by 4900 beyond IOS.

However Procreate did open the PSD version file in the end I re sized in procreate and saved out.

The only other way I can resize the PTG in desk top in AR is to buy another desktop computer.

What work arounds have you as a suggestion please ?

Just a thought PSD to open in AR is it a big deal ?
    Why it not been implemented ?

IOS app needs quite a lot of work to bring this into 2019 is AR company dropping the up dates on the app.

Example can we re name the layers yet in IOS AR ?

The desktop versions of ArtRage can open PSD files with their layers intact.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'The only other way I can resize the PTG in desk top in AR is to buy another desktop computer.'? If you have a PTG (or PSD) file you can resize them in any desktop version of ArtRage. If you don't have a Windows or macOS computer then you're correct, you can't resize the files because the iOS version does not contain this functionality due to the memory requirements of operating on PTG files when resizing. The additional data PTG files carry in their layers for paint properties such as thickness and wetness mean that resizing operations (and file size in general) are significantly more impactful on memory than in applications that just do flat colour layers.

The iOS app was designed to be a freehand painting canvas with lower requirements and less high end editing features than our full desktop offerings, it's focused on painting tools rather than digital editing tools. There have been some concessions in the design to digital functionality, and with the improvement in mobile hardware over the last few years it's definitely possible that in the future we might look at a more full featured application, but that isn't our intention with the current app.

Hello Matt,

Thank you for the reply.
    Yes no pc or Mac desktop now just IOS with 4 gigs of RAM.

It would be helpful if the team understood people do draw with big iPads and opening files in affinity and resizing has not been an issue for me.

These files are as big as the PTG but in PSD format.
    Naming layers in the IOS would be very helpful.

So I am stuck really for now as it be buy another desktop to open these files PTG which I drew in art rage on a desktop Mac.

So the lesson learnt here save files in both PSD and PTG when working with any IOS iPad to over come issues.

thank you.