Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Musicians

Al, I am finally able to get some free time this morning. I wanted to congratulate you on such a wonderful series of paintings. Your style is unique and your own. I love these so much. Bravo, sir!

Beautiful ... love the look.

Good good good. . .
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Extraordinario!!!! Felicitaciones!!!!
    Regards from Chile
    "El arte no reproduce lo visible. Lo hace visible" Paul Klee

Thanks so much for explaining your process. I don’t know and don’t have photoshop. Maybe future Artrage will add on some art filters to play with Again, awesome creations

Quote Originally Posted by alkratzer View Post
    Original photo is resized, cropped and has any obstructions hand painted out using the clone tool or straight paint brushes. Areas that need it are selected, the selection smoothed/feathered and then brightened or darkened or color shifted as desired.

Photoshop filters used: Art filters -- Underpainting, High Pass, Adjustments: Vibrance/Saturation/Color Balance.

Resulting image is then duplicated a few times and put on layers. one layer will be filtered with film grain, another with watercolor filter. I then play around with the transparency of the layers until I feel the mix has an "artsy" quality. Flatten and save. Bring image into Topaz studio and again make multiple versions. Apply filters in Topaz, my favorites are "Liquid Ethereal," "ghost town," and "Jo_Malerei." I also use the AI Remix effects.

Bring the resultant images BACK to Photoshop and layer again and play with transparency of each layer. If color needs more pop, I sometimes make additional layers and change to "Multiply" mode which is like seeing through two versions of the image on glass. Brighten the multiply layer as desired. Sometimes I erase areas on one layer or anther to bring out certain features -- like a particularly nice texture or to help preserve a bit of detail in an area.

Flatten and save out a new version of the image and import into ArtRage add three layers in ArtRage, one at 100%, one at 40% and one at 15% and paint them as you see fit. I tend to add areas of color to the 100% layer and then use the frosted pallet knife to soften the edges and bring the color together with the image layer below. I like the chalks for adding to the semi transparent layers. Get the image to where you like it and then bring back into Photoshop. I add some additional brushwork using the grund brushes. Flatten the image and call it a day.

A couple more with a slightly different look. (Photos taken at a jazz jam last week.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1431-0 Painting.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	96733

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1421-0-Edit.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	214.8 KB 
ID:	96734

Good work congratulation
    Visit my website here