Thread: California fires

California fires

Hi D. Akey,

I'm seeing the California fires on the news, it's unbelievable. Very few of us can fully understand the tension
    and worry you and your neighbours are experiencing. I'm hoping the rains will come soon and help the firemen.

I'm praying for your safety and hope you don't have to pack up and leave for safer grounds.

Take care,

Abby-Helen

Thank you very much Abbey-Helen. Means a lot.

It's dodgy with the winds changing direction in a forceful way. Hard to know what's the next point of concern. After the first burn close to my home we thought it was under control more or less, and the winds went still for a time the problem for us where we are is that smoke, which had been blowing away was now filling our neighborhoods, and the fires were coming back our way.

Next morning as it was still, I drove up into Woolsey Drive which is near where I live. It drives up into the hills and one could get an overview of the Valley. The smoke was thickly filling the basin. Smoldering charred bits peppering the ground, phone lines between the charred poles had insulation in dangling tatters. And yet we thought it was controlled -- in our area.

But then the winds started blowing hard again and we heard more and more communities being given mandatory evacuation. Nothing that the news hasn't been covering. But to bring it home for the people who are suffering, we've heard friends on Facebook say they moved their possessions from their home in a high risk area to a friend's home for safety. Her home burned down and then the friend's home with her possessions also burned down. This fire is vast and moving very fast as you know.

My family has been lucky (cautiously stated). But of course many have lost everything. And the winds just picked up again. It's been blowing out to sea -- for now. Predictions are going to be where they will shift to blowing inland in a couple days which means if we don't have just fire issues, we'll be dealing with smoke again.

We very much appreciate your caring. Keeping knees bent here.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Living in a small country, it's hard to comprehend the scale of all this. I hope you and everyone else out that way stay safe, and that the winds are favorable over the next few days!

Thanks Dave. Your thoughts are much appreciated. It blows my mind and I'm here. Some of the goings on are places I know, videos I see from ground level I have often driven. But in this fiery aspect I've never even imagined this scale of destruction. So you're not the only one who has a hard time grasping it all.

Being at the edge as I am I don't quite know what the next step is to be so I'm prepped for quick movement if needed, but hoping it's not anything that will become essential. Abstract when looking forward to the next phases.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Feeling relief to know that you and your family are safe. Hope everyone else in your area is safe to get out too.

Quote Originally Posted by pai View Post
    Feeling relief to know that you and your family are safe. Hope everyone else in your area is safe to get out too.
    Thanks Pai. Yeah. So far so lucky for us. Close enough to the edge of the fires that the wild animals are getting flushed out and coming around pretty hungry I would imagine. It has to be really hard on them as their habitat is scorched to ash.

It's been hard on many humans and kept animals too as you've no doubt been hearing on the news. My heart goes out to them.

Will not feel 100% safe until the fires are completely out. Winds change and it could double back over the areas that have not yet burned and come back our way.

Thanks for your concern.

D Akey: Espero sinceramente que no te hayan afectado mucho los incendios en California... Saludos desde Chile.-
    Regards from Chile
    "El arte no reproduce lo visible. Lo hace visible" Paul Klee

Quote Originally Posted by damasocl View Post
    D Akey: Espero sinceramente que no te hayan afectado mucho los incendios en California... Saludos desde Chile.-
    Gracias mi amigo. Podría ser mucho peor y hemos tenido mucha suerte en comparación con personas que no están tan lejos.

Thank you my friend. It could be far worse and we've been very lucky compared with people not so far away.

D Akey, I just moved back to Sacramento 4 years ago and changed our air filter for the house yesterday. Unbelievable, they were almost pure black from filtering the smoke that was around us. Now they say, we should get used to it. Not a great outlook for California.
    The past is history, the future is a mystery, all you have is the present

Quote Originally Posted by GRSArts View Post
    D Akey, I just moved back to Sacramento 4 years ago and changed our air filter for the house yesterday. Unbelievable, they were almost pure black from filtering the smoke that was around us. Now they say, we should get used to it. Not a great outlook for California.
    Wonder who said that cryptic line: "get used to it". The mind boggles. I drove out to San Bernadino last weekend and the air had that distinct look of pale pink brown which told me there were still fires going somewhere inland.

Well, good to hear you have a home still. Air filters are a indeed a prudent idea, sorry to say. Hopefully the coming rain will put it all out. Stay well.