Thread: Print Making with 3-Dimensional Surfaces

Print Making with 3-Dimensional Surfaces

Hi all, new to forums.

I was thinking about printing services. Most people know you can get professional canvas prints done of digital work with faux finishes, framing, etc.

I was thinking though...
    My background is a little bit in computer graphics, and so I know that part of how paint simulators like ArtRage (which I love!) work is by simulating height of paint or "stuff" on the canvas. Sort of in 3 dimensions. I believe the actual term is a Voxel, so that every pixel of your paintings has more info in it than just color. It has height (volume, hence "voxel"), possibly what colors were painted underneath it, what type of paint it is, etc.

Anyway, my curiosity when it comes to printing is whether anyone has created a service that could utilize this extra information about the paint to create a 3D replication of the surface of your painting. Chunky areas where you leave big globs of paint, maybe uneven palette knife smears. Things like that, to create more of a faux painting finish as a final product. More like the kind of surface texture we see in a real painting done on canvas in "real" studios. We have 3D printing technology, this seems like something that should be easily doable.

I really think if this doesn't exist, it would certainly be a great opportunity for any entrepreneurs in the digital print production business! I'm not equipped to get into that, or I would probably keep the thought to myself
    If anyone has heard about this already I would definitely be interested in a service that did this. I think a lot of digital painters would.

Love ArtRage

Hello pixelated and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    This article from 2017 might be of interest to you: https://www.fespa.com/en/news-media/...-textured-inks

I believe ArtRage uses a form of depth map for paint thickness/hight. Indeed if you want you can export the individual maps used in a layer. Bring up the contextual menu for a layer and choose Export Layer To Channels.
    Theoretically you could use the outputted images as texture info in another 3D app, but I’ve never tried this.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram