Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed on Digital Art Pen

Quote Originally Posted by GRSArts View Post
    In reponse to Chagrin, I am using a new 15.6 inch Huion Pen Tablet monitor (vs the Wacom Intuos 5 I use to use) and it works great with Artrage 5.
    I am wondering if this latest update with the Mojavi is the problem, we shall see GRS. Thanks for the info!

Alexandra, I had problems with OS Mojave installation and ended up having to do a clean install, which took a lot of my time and patience. But in the long run, I think it was worth it.
    The past is history, the future is a mystery, all you have is the present

Quote Originally Posted by GRSArts View Post
    Alexandra, I had problems with OS Mojave installation and ended up having to do a clean install, which took a lot of my time and patience. But in the long run, I think it was worth it.
    Uh....GRS, I'm having a coronary here. Clean install? I am clueless. Just received word from Wacom rep-no updates available for the old thing. I am looking into a Huion as you have used. Seems there are some great deals out there. Luckily the only thing that did not update with the Mojavi install was the pen. It is not a great loss, I just think it is so wasteful- as it was perfectly fine. Seems that selling updates for these things would be a great option rather than wasting something.

Alexandra, You would normally install Mac OS Mojave from the App store (update). When I did that, I had a lot of problems with the systems software. So what I did, was a clean install. Installing from a USB stick. This wipes your disk clean and installs the Mac OS. Meaning, I had to re-install all of my software programs again. The advantage: no residual from the old operating systems and software programs. Disadvantage: a lot of work re-installing everything and getting/entering all of the software and keys to make everything work again.
    These new tablets (Huion/XP-pen) are pretty new into this field of art/illustration. They are not quite as good as the Wacom cintiq, but there is also a huge price difference. I figure what I would pay for a Wacom tablet of 16 inches ($1500), I could buy my Huion 15.6 inch for less than 1/3 the price. And could upgrade down the road when they start getting 4k graphics and pens. For now, mine works great for what I paid for it. I love having the ability to draw on the screen that I am viewing instead of drawing on the tablet and looking up into another screen. Makes drawing a lot easier.
    The past is history, the future is a mystery, all you have is the present

Thank you, GRS. My daughter was explaining this to me as well. I will try to do this. From a few posts I've read on the internet, there are a few folks out there having problems with the new update and new wacom's. I believe these issues will be resolved soon as they have in the past. I have had a lot of expenses this month so I will wait a bit. I would love a nice pen as you have, maybe some day. Take care, and thanks.

One more question, please. My mouse works well with Artrage. It is just difficult for me to draw with. I am looking into mouse/pen's. I don't even mind something that plugs in as I have converted my mouse to a plug in. I am tired of buying batteries. Also friend suggested doing this as her business did this for economic reasons. Would any one out there use anything like this for their digital drawing?
    Also I am researching digital pens and have read reports of viral software to run these pens. I have enjoyed my wacom but now have three of them that will not update, (in their defense, they still work, and work great with our old computers) while my mouse will plug into any system I have.
    Thank you.

Got lost

Hello, hope somebody can give good hints and advices to me.
    1. On my 'iPad Air 12.5.5' I can paint without problems (so far, I am a newbie) with plain capacitate Disc-Tip-Pens, acrylic round tips, Fingers. But as a non-professional painter I want a suitable and appropriate pen, because the transformation is not so successful. I until now tries several pens about which are claimed - as I could recognize - to work on this iPad. But no one did. I returned them all at least. They didn't work at all on the complete iPad, not only on ARV.
    Here on my Surface Book 3 I did only one trial, recommended by Microsoft Slim Pen 2 via chat: It did not work only on Art Rage Vitae and not on Coral Painter. But out of that on every other software it worked fine. I returned the pen and Coral Painter. -ARV is suitable for me, there are on the Surface enough difficulties I must master-
    The disc-tip-pens and the round acrylic are working and the mouse. But on the 14 inch Screen I want it most exactly, the transformations from the tools to forms an lines are not very sufficient, inconvenient and in difficult to get exact.
    But which pens are suitable for this two devices and the ARV-programm. I know, I must buy different for each iOS and Windows. I want those with possibilities of several tips and chargers by USB. And want to become as successful as I am with the traditional art-works I did.
    Here many user which know more about it, so I am expecting hopefully goog and secure recommandations.

Question

I'm using the Microsoft Slim Pen 2 on a Surface Pro 8 with ARV. I'm surprised that does not work for you. Perhaps the pen is defective?
    I don't own an iPad so I can't speak to this from direct experience, but the Apple Pencil is the stylus you would want there for the best results.

difficult

Hi spifireix, thanks for answering immediately. And no, Slim Pen 2 was OK. I could use it for everything else on Surface Book 3, but not for "Coral Painter". Also were the below mentioned plain tools hardly, and if, slowly moving and working. The mouse moved edgy and not precise. Out of that it was not really what I wanted. The tip was hard and clicking on the screen. There are no offers for art-tips.
    Because Surface Book 3 ist a normal Window PC with a removable touchscreen. It is not like the Surface pro-series.
    I can turn the screen on the keyboard an have convenient angles. Or I use it like a tablet/pad without keyboard, but always with a mouse. This is very convenient for painting e. g. It has only 4 kernels and though Microsoft claimed Coral Painter would be compatible and working on book 3, it seemed hardly on its limit. This is in no case with ARV.
    Of course I could buy Slim Pen 2 again. I won't. A real offer with many capacitive pens is only given on Amazon. The Micro-shop is poor anyhow. They are focussed on business. And of cours games. Its a miracle that I found ARV there.
    I guess for the Surface I will find one on Amazon. Or meanwhile somebody here will give me a good recommendation for Surface Book 3.
    If not, I will ask again.
    But now for my iPad. I first will buy one for iPad Air 12.5.5. Do I have to buy it from Apple? Because I found not yet one on Amazon. It seems, a different pen is necessary for every edition of iPad. that makes it confusing.
    And as long as I am not fit on ARV on this Surface I mutual will practise on the iPad.
    I am insecure to use the suitable paths of threats for stuff like this. I searched with key-words I found suitable. Sorry if I splashed odd into somewhere. Have a good night, yours LaFemmeDuLac

Quote Originally Posted by LaFemmeDuLac View Post
    Hi spifireix, thanks for answering immediately. And no, Slim Pen 2 was OK. I could use it for everything else on Surface Book 3, but not for "Coral Painter".
    Hi. Many people have experienced issues with Corel Painter and Surface computers. See this post on Painter Factory about Corel Painter not supporting Surface pen properly. I would guess that your Surface Book 3 (a nice machine) is not going to be compatible with Painter. Just like my Surface Pro 8.

In my opinion the Slim Pen 2 is the best pen for modern Surface devices that I've used. I also have the old Surface Pen and the Slim Pen 2 is more accurate and fluid with less jitter. Having said that, none of these pens work as well as a Wacom stylus in my opinion. The feel and responsiveness of a Wacom stylus is still my preferred pen/tablet combination. I wish you could use the Wacom pens on Surface devices but you can't. I use the Surface Pro 8 when I want to work outside or just change my environment and my Wacom cintiq with my desktop computer if I need to really do a long session with detailed work.

Getting a good digital art set up will take some experimentation. I would encourage you to find something that works to your liking and then spend some time making art. You will find that your preferred setup and devices may change as your style and interests evolve. At one point I was mostly doing comics and so my main requirement was for a device that could support sketching and inking (which is pretty much any device or art program). Now I'm mostly involved with painting and find I depend more programs like Painter and ArtRage and hardware like the Wacom Art Pen.