Thread: Oil Brush Blending Challenge

Oil Brush Blending Challenge

NOTE: With the advent of the custom brush in AR5, blending with paint, and with depth (AR6) has improved markedly.
    My statements in this thread might be outdated. This challenge could easily be handled with a custom brush.

For all you ArtRage experts with the Oilbrush… this challenge is show your skills with the oilbrush (wet in wet) and to share your expert technique.

Challenge: create a nice gradient of color between the two colors in the pic below. It should be done wet in wet and MUST be done only with Oil brushes, the result can be painterly but it should look natural and only have colors that fall between the original two in a natural gradual progression. Don't be fooled by how simple this seems (if you paint with real paint you'll likely think this is a cinch) it's a little tricky, and in fact I suspect only a master of ArtRage would be capable of doing it. Good Luck! Post your results and the technique you used!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlendingChallenge.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	96480
    Last edited by DarkOwnt; 08-27-2020 at 02:34 AM.

Okay, this is entirely out of my skill set, but what a wonderful idea to post challenges. People like me benefit from studying the results. Please, gradient-creating Ragers, show us how it's done.

Just saw this... goes to what I said about blending with real paint: Artist Mark Carder making a few remarks about blending (starting at 11:23 and ending at about 11:40)

Had a giggle.

https://youtu.be/dZKfj-2XCYc?t=11m23s
    Last edited by DarkOwnt; 11-12-2018 at 03:57 PM.

NOTE: With the advent of the custom brush in AR5, blending with paint, and with depth (AR6) has improved markedly.
    My statements in this thread are outdated.

OK!

So this thread has been unsuccessful at quickly bringing out the ArtRage oil blending experts. More than likely they have other better things to do BUT...

CMON! Not up to the challenge?? The Newbies need tips from the experts to progress!! and what kind of Artist doesn't share techniques and knowledge??
    Please share!!

Note: I'm opening up this thread to a slightly LESS onerous challenge (see CAPS below):

NEW Challenge: create AS nice a gradient of color AS YOU CAN between the two colors in the pic below. It should be done wet in wet and must be done only with Oil brushes, the result can be painterly but it should look AS natural AS POSSIBLE and TO THE EXTENT POSSIBLE USING YOUR TECHNIQUE, only have colors that fall between the original two in a natural gradual progression.

PLEASE POST SOME OF YOUR ATTEMPTS AND TECHNIQUES SO WE CAN AT LEAST JUDGE WHICH ONES ARE MORE EFFECTIVE!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlendingChallenge.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	96540
    Last edited by DarkOwnt; 08-27-2020 at 02:35 AM.

Smile

Can you create an example how you would do it? I may try to understand it. Besides oil paint, can we use other tools?

Quote Originally Posted by pai View Post
    Can you create an example how you would do it? I may try to understand it. Besides oil paint, can we use other tools?
    How I tried to do it ... was a failure... so I can’t create an example .. which is why the challenge is for a “master” of ArtRage. The idea is simple... blending real paint into a gradient is one of the easiest things to do ... I want someone to show how it’s done with the best software simulation of oil paint and its “realistic blending engine”. No other tools can be used except of course the dropper / color sampler tool to get the right color on your brush! It must be wet paint too!

I will say the closest I came to a barely acceptable result was by cheating a bit... painting a white layer of think paint in a layer above this picture, changing blend mode to multiply and merging ... to get a nice thick wet version of the picture... then instead of using actual paint on the brush I used the oil brush with zero loading and blended the colours to get a gradient... like I said it was OK but it was flat and it gets unworkable very quickly. BUT I want to blend with loaded paint... alla prima... to get a painterly thick look with a nice color gradient. I just can’t figure out the proper technique for it.

I think you cannot just use oil paint alone to blend in Artrage without even use blend knife. Since I start learning to use real mediums, one thing I realize the differences in digital painting is you can access to different tools to blend in gradient easily than using the real materials.

I can really see what you're getting at. I would say to use the tools for what they do and not based on their name so much. I've learned that a long while back with most art tools in various programs.

I tried your oil brush challenge and it wasn't happening for me the effect you wanted either - just using the one tool. I found it worked more like acrylic than oil.

Waiting to see if you solve the problem or someone comes in with a way to do it.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream