Thread: Suggestion for the next upgrade - Canvas importing without tiling

Suggestion for the next upgrade - Canvas importing without tiling

Rondo and I were messing with loading in one's own canvas texture and it all works splendidly except that it tiles and I can't see any way to not have it repeat without zooming it larger. The problem is that it puts in a noticeable seam where it repeats. And the point of that custom feature could well be far more interesting than merely laying down a different weave or paper tooth like wallpaper.

Case in point would be where an artist would paint a canvas with gesso (a white painted on surface that ranges anywhere from super slick when sanded to extremely textural -- or there is also a white impasto goop one can paint over as well that's really thick that can be put on with a knife or brush). So essentially it gives a custom, organic, hand done feel with an infinitely broad range of textures. All of those can happen by importing a custom canvas which is simple as a jpeg so it looks like at one point you all were thinking in this direction but left off on it because it wasn't being used. Now it is being used and probably more people will use it if featured and they see what can be done with it.

But the kicker is that it always tiles and that defeats the purpose and effect of a unique surface covering the whole canvas. Everything else works perfectly. So is there an adjustment that can be made to where the imported jpeg or whatever can span the whole picture surface without zooming in and blurring the grain? Seems like a fairly easy fix.

Thanks.

See this thread for the pics and how they played.

https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?54436-gesso
    Last edited by D Akey; 10-25-2018 at 08:23 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Indeed, it should be a huge thing if the tiling could be resolved.

P.S. It would be great if adding a custom canvas was a feature beyond just the desktop versions. I have a Kindle Fire HDX. But if you can get rid of the tiling issue for the desktop versions, I would be ecstatic with that bump up.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll add that to our list of things to look at!

this is a great suggestion and would help me alot as well.

google how to make tiling textures, it's doable in photoshop with a canvas offset filter and clone/stamp tools.

I'm not sure there's a simple solution to blending canvas edges together that can be done on the developers side;

painter used to have an in-house applet generating seamless textures for them, but the original developer is gone, and it's no longer used for the new texture presets they throw in.

Quote Originally Posted by nekomata View Post
    google how to make tiling textures, it's doable in photoshop with a canvas offset filter and clone/stamp tools.

I'm not sure there's a simple solution to blending canvas edges together that can be done on the developers side;

painter used to have an in-house applet generating seamless textures for them, but the original developer is gone, and it's no longer used for the new texture presets they throw in.
    Thanks.

Yes, making seamless tiling is useful until they perhaps change it in the program. But I'm looking to not have anything repeat. I'm not looking to make a weave though, but rather to control the whole surface of the canvas as one can in a natural medium way to have the texture as a controlled part of the picture with every part of it being unique rather than merely a field to paint on top of where the paint is the only thing that matters.

But yeah, in the meantime seamless tiling could perhaps hide the fact that it's repeating at all. And in many traditional paintings the gesso level wouldn't matter whatsoever. So your suggestion is a good one in that regard. Long ago I saw some tutorials talking about how to make seamless tiles in Photoshop. But if the AR folks can fix it, then it's open to use as envisioned without the extra hassle.
    Last edited by D Akey; 11-05-2018 at 05:50 AM.

Here's Someonesane's YouTube video for creating a seamless tile with ArtRage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VSE...-9EzOzKbeCDyfc

Updated using AR4 clone tool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7O-dvE-kfQ
    Last edited by Enug; 11-05-2018 at 06:20 PM.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]