Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crystal ball

Crystal ball

It is really hard for us users to imagine how Art Rage could be better, so I wonder if you at Ambient Design could reveal a bit about what we could expect in coming versions of this cool software? And maybe even what the timeline for the development (ver. 6) is?

Asking the hard questions there! I can't say much right now, we tend to keep new features close to our chest while we work on them, but we're definitely working on the product... I hope to be able to be a bit less cryptic soon!

Not sure what your marketing research is telling you, but as a consumer who makes choices about what to buy and why, IMHO, ArtRage exists today (people are still purchasing it rather than something else) BECAUSE of the various realistic effects of its Oil brushes. We all know about the "do-it-all" software out there, and really it does do almost everything really well... but really well is not always good enough.

IMHO that is the real differentiator and the degree of ArtRage's success is the degree to which its Oils are BETTER than all other competitors. To the extent the competitors are researching and achieving advancement in brush-canvas interaction and simulation in oil that differentiator would reduce. Conversely, to the extent the Oil painting engine of ArtRage maintains its dominance, and stays ahead of the competition in comparison with the improvements of others, ArtRage will remain relevant as a niche product for both hobbyists and professionals and continue to be successful in the market. IMHO ArtRage must always be improving on its best asset to stay ahead of everyone else.

Someone said that ArtRage is a program you either love or hate. I have been using AR since the very beginning and I really used it a lot, and loved it. But not that much any more.

Why? At least for one reason, Thera are so many artistic software out there and all of them are good in one way or the other. Comparing price and functionality, how much you get for your money, is what I have done. Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, ClipStudio, all of them gives me more, much more than AR gives. Procreate on iOS is soo good. Free software like Krita and SketcBook Pro are both just fantastic! And so on.

Adobe have lately announced the upcoming Gemini, both vectors and bitmaps painting.
    AR must keep on fighting and developing to give me more reasons to continue using it.

I did not mention Corel Painter. It plays in a division of its own. Not because it is so good. But because it the most expensive artistic software you can buy.

All the best to you, AR developing team!
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 11-11-2018 at 04:21 AM.

Hello Henry,

Would you please explain why in your opinion Krita is "fantastic". I've been thinking of adding another software,

I'm not unhappy with ArtRage, Just that it's fun to play with more than one digital art program.

Abby-Helen

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Stahle View Post
    Why? At least for one reason, Thera are so many artistic software out there and all of them are good in one way or the other. Comparing price and functionality, how much you get for your money, is what I have done. Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, ClipStudio, all of them gives me more, much more than AR gives. ProcreatE on iOS is soot good. Free software like Krita and SketcBook Pro are both just fantastic! And so on.
    you always can just use several applications at once, this is what I do combining artrage and clip studio because one has amazing blending, and the other has custom brushes with glazing-style opacity built into the brush engine; all together comes down to an upgrade price of a single corel painter license or even half that if you watch the sales.

both clip studio and krita likely have bigger development teams working on the respective products, and the affinity bundle is honestly trash for a painter, even krita gives better resources for free-hand brush mark making.

Quote Originally Posted by Tore View Post
    It is really hard for us users to imagine how Art Rage could be better, so I wonder if you at Ambient Design could reveal a bit about what we could expect in coming versions of this cool software? And maybe even what the timeline for the development (ver. 6) is?
    Great topic!

I just want to give one suggestion for the ArtRage team: Fix the cursor display lag for ArtRage 5 in Windows 10 (I don't know if this problem also exists in other systems). I don't know if this is already in your list of bugs to solve, but it is currently my only and main complain about ArtRage. I love this software and I think you just need to go a bit further to make it impecable.

Cheers.

Hello Daniel,
    Since you ask, I’m on a Mac and not finding any unexpected lag with the cursor. Nor it would seem is it something lots of people are posting about here on the forums.
    Have you tried contacting AR support directly? It may be something specific to your system perhaps that they can diagnose.
    Hope you can find an answer to the problem soon.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by abby-helen View Post
    Hello Henry,
    Would you please explain why in your opinion Krita is "fantastic". I've been thinking of adding another software,
    Abby-Helen
    hi abby-helen,
    I am an old fan of ArtRage and began using it at the very birth of the AR software. Time goes on and the developing of graphic/artistic programs has really reached new levels. Krita, is a free and open source painting, illustrating and animation program. It got all tools I need, from simple standard digital brushes to textured natural looking oil and watercolour brushes...guides, transform tools, vector import and drawing, advanced 2D animation…and so on. It is still under development and next release will be in december. And as I said: it is free. Still I like to support it now and then by sending some Euros into their crowdfunding campaigns.
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 11-11-2018 at 04:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nekomata View Post
    ... and the affinity bundle is honestly trash for a painter …
    Well, nekomata,
    I do not agree with your opinion. Since Affinity Designer is both a vector and bitmap designing, drawing, illustration and painting software, it is a bit complex, but it is not hard to use. Affinity Photo is a photo developing and editing program, just like Photoshop. It got tons of brushes, the same bitmap brushes as in Designer, and reminds of Painting in Photoshop. Probably is the Affinity suite the most advanced artistic graphic software I used. I can send the same file from Designer to Photo and vice versa keeping all objects intact and editable. Each program, both Designer and Photo cost about the same as ArtRage, but you get 100 times more functionality.

ArtRage is still a good basic painting program but must speed up to catch up with all other… a hard race … it is a matter of surviving in the software jungle.

*Affinity has a lot of brush designers, Daub and Frankentoon are my favourites, that makes the software great to paint with.