ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wacom problem using ArtRage on Linux

Wacom problem using ArtRage on Linux

Hi

I managed to get ArtRage2 installed and working under Linux. It works perfectly if I use my mouse.
    Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem when using it with my Wacom Graphire 3.

I can use the pen to navigate the menus and move the brush around and select stuff. However when I try to draw something, nothing appears on the canvas (stuff does appear if i use my mouse). With the stylus, I see the correct cursor (depending on the tool i'm using). but as soon as I touch/press the pen to the board the cursor changes to crosshairs and then disappears.

Anyone have a clue how this can be sorted out?

BTW The tablet works perfectly with the Gimp..

Thanks
    Rax

In the Edit menu, under Preferences, try turning on 'Use Mouse Mode', then restart ArtRage.
    And make sure you have the latest drivers for your tablet.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

a little better

Hi

Thanks for the reply..
    I'm not sure if I have the latest drivers.. gonna have to download and install them then give it a go.

Just setting mouse mode off (without new drivers) improves it slightly.. i.e. some paint appears on the canvas.. but it appears to be random. and really slows down til the point where I have to wait for a couple of minutes for it to stop drawing and respond again.

Cheers
    Rax

Hi.

Just thought I'd put a quick update.. I changed some settings on my Wacom on Linux, and noticed that when I paint now, all the paint always seems to be white (this seems to be regardless of the tool i use).

Anyone have ideas?

Thanks
    Rax

Ehmmm...

Never mind... I'm a muppet . Seems Art Rage is working properly now

I forgot to change the colour setting so it wasn't permenanetly on white

I bought the full version of ArtRage and installed it and everything was working except the airbrush and glitter tool.. I read some other user had similar issues, and there were some hints on how to get it working..

After trying out the very basic hints ArtRage no longer works (with the wacom tablet that is)

I tried restoring my settings to what I think was there before but it doesn't work *sob*...

AAAARGHHHH!!

A quick tip for taking ArtRage 2 back to its original default settings: Close ArtRage, locate the artrage.prs file ( It lives in C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\Ambient Design\ArtRage 2\ by default but you can just use search ) and delete this file.

When you next launch ArtRage, it will be using its default settings. You can also reset individual tool settings via hitting the "Reset" button in the tool's panel at the left hand side, but deleting the settings file with ArtRage closed with do the lot essentially.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks for the reply Dave.. but unfortunately that didn't change anything.

I think the problem is really the way linux is reporting the pressure of the pen to Wine or something similar. I noticed that if I press *really hard* with certain tools like airbrush I do get some paint. And if I kind of strike the tip of the pen other tools will draw a small bit of colour.

The linux-wacom people have recommended installing the latest driver.. I might do that when I have some time, and don't mind if I accidentally break the sysem..

Cheers
    Rax

Hi

Just thought I put a bit of an update on my issues with Linux/Wine/ArtRage.. in case it helps others or me

I installed the latest version of Ubuntu (Feisty) today.. and tried to get ArtRage working.
    Seems pressure sensitivity worked initially, but then disappeared. The good news is that all the tools seem to be working for me, where previously the airbrush and glitter didn't. How no pressure sensitivity.

I might try re-installing ArtRage to see what happens.

Cheers
    Rax

Quote Originally Posted by rax_m
    Hi

Just thought I put a bit of an update on my issues with Linux/Wine/ArtRage.. in case it helps others or me

I installed the latest version of Ubuntu (Feisty) today.. and tried to get ArtRage working.
    Seems pressure sensitivity worked initially, but then disappeared. The good news is that all the tools seem to be working for me, where previously the airbrush and glitter didn't. How no pressure sensitivity.

I might try re-installing ArtRage to see what happens.

Cheers
    Rax
    I'm using Feisty as well and able to run ArtRage2 perfectly with a Wacom Intuos 3 tablet, including pressure sensitivity.

I know the native version of Gimp has a place to set pressure, etc for the stylus.

Hmm..just a thought-do you have wacom-tools installed? Maybe that's what you need?

Wish I could help you more, but I didn't have any problems.

I've heard of a several people getting Intuos tablets to work under linux, but never heard of anyone getting a Graphire to work. I know the two tablets do operate under different frequencies; maybe that has something to do with it?

Good Luck.