Thread: gesso

gesso

what is the best way to simulate gesso on a canvas in ArtRage? with a rough texture or a layer with rough texture?( wood bark, scumbled paper)in overlay mode?

https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...low-Up-Example

I posted this a little while back. You can create your own textures for the canvas using a BW image which till translate into a tooth for the canvas. If you want it to look like gesso you can simulate the sweeping brush marks in BW and just make that your canvas. Could be anything in BW. But a gesso look is very do-able. This shows how it's loaded in, but you can of course use any BW image as the canvas, including the simulation of gesso brushed down. Experiment. It can be fun, I always thought.
    Last edited by D Akey; 10-17-2018 at 03:24 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

thx dakey gone try this out

Hi Rondo. A couple things:

1) Are you using a desktop computer? I found that this feature doesn't exist in the version for some devices. For example it does not work on my Kindle Fire HDX. It definitely works on my Mac desktop. I seem to recall it also works on a Windows desktop version.

2) I noticed that because you were showing more of a value range than it should as a canvas. It looks more like you loaded it in as a layer or tracing image or something. See below for what it should look like. When I loaded your pic you attached for me to mess with, it loaded fine like gesso's white on white. See my attachment. But you really don't need to adjust it outside the canvas settings. However you can for extra finesse if you want. None the less, your original was working fine with the right settings.

3) I was not able to get rid of the tiling at full magnification even when your pic was the same as my new picture in AR. You can play with the settings once you get to the Canvas Settings. The way I got there was by right clicking the mouse when the cursor was somewhere in the AR canvas area. Then I loaded the image. The sliders are useful. USE LIGHTING (checked box). DO NOT USE METALLIC (off = no x in box). The sliders you can adjust to what looks good to your eye.

Let me know how it works for you. Your original BW image for the canvas should have worked. But I am also including another where it's more adjusted to high contrast. What that will give you is more of a canvas with 2 different depths - white will be uniformly flat. Yours with more value range will have more varying depths and that could be cool if you want a gesso look that has not been sanded.

PS. I used the chalk pastel tool with the magenta color selected for what you see below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 4.16.34 PM.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	193.1 KB 
ID:	96247  
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by D Akey; 10-17-2018 at 12:55 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

So Rondo, how did it work or can you even do it on your device or computer? You can ask for an expansion on the trick of it if you get hung up.

did not get the chance to test due to my health issues but I shall try it out when i'm able to, thx anyway sir

as far i found out is that the texture can be used in different ways,1)importing as a layer and put on multiply, 2) as a texture in canvas settings. Can also directly open the texture in ArtRage and create a another layer while putting again the texture in multiply. Can also be loaded as is. Run a Win10 machine I7-64bit.
    Mind you that there are only a few tools that gone let you see the texture and indeed 1 of them is the chalk tool. but here again, possibilities are endless and ground to further trial and error
    I hope you can understand what i'm writing here.
    The only thing that bothers me is the fact that I see a seem in certain import methods? is this a normal behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    as far i found out is that the texture can be used in different ways,1)importing as a layer and put on multiply, 2) as a texture in canvas settings. Can also directly open the texture in ArtRage and create a another layer while putting again the texture in multiply. Can also be loaded as is. Run a Win10 machine I7-64bit.
    Mind you that there are only a few tools that gone let you see the texture and indeed 1 of them is the chalk tool. but here again, possibilities are endless and ground to further trial and error
    I hope you can understand what i'm writing here.
    The only thing that bothers me is the fact that I see a seem in certain import methods? is this a normal behavior?
    I understand enough I think, Rondo.

The multiply function is different, but it does indeed act as you suggest -- to create something of a texture. However what it does is that it basically retains the blacks and grays and simply turns the white to transparent. So it works for that effect certainly. And it can imply a texture. But it retains the color of the layer you apply multiply to. So it has its uses, although I use it for other things like intensifying what is there in the picture.

As to the tiling, it bothers me too and I have no idea why it does that. The only thing I can think of is to:

1) adjust the grain size of the imported canvas tooth -- the down side of this is that the grain gets blurry.

2) make the canvas so big that you can crop it after exporting it as a jpeg or whatever as a flattened exported file

3) create a tooth that you will import as a canvas that is seamless. 3D artists do this a lot for texture mapping using a small image that will repeat a lot. So they make sure that the edges don't show a line. The risk there is that it begins to look like wallpaper if the design is too obviously repetitive.

I think the AR people should simply adjust the program when there's an upgrade. I don't think there was much interest in it since nobody was really using the program feature in a custom way.

Anyway, as to your comment that the gesso texture doesn't show up with other tools besides chalk pastel, it does. See the attached pics where I chose an assortment of tools to show it does in fact show as an underpainted texture.

Note: I also tried changing the canvas after painting on it and it updated all my marks to the new texture character (also shown in the pics below). That probably wouldn't have an updating quality with "multiply" on a layer. Granted adjustments can be made both ways, but this really feels like the tooth of the canvas exists as a surface that's being painted on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rondo1.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	243.5 KB 
ID:	96306   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rondo2.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	96307  
    Last edited by D Akey; 10-23-2018 at 08:39 AM.

thx Dakey for the further info on the object and sure to be tried out

excellent. will keep for future references.