ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: First Impressions - Smudging and blending

First Impressions - Smudging and blending

I tried the package and had to purchase the full version.

Very impressed but my first problem that I found was,

how do you apply the brush to the canvas with NO paint loaded on it?

I often paint with soft pastels and after applying the pastels, use my finger to rub the pastel into the canvas, this helps get a good blending (useful for reflections).

Also using oils, it is important to use a fan brush for blending or softening, useful for misting out.

Maybe these features can all be achieved with certain combinations or are they available with the right selection. (I have only started using this package)

Welcome, Beerem!

If you want to use the brush to blend, you can set the "Loading" value in the left hand panel to 0%, meaning that there's no paint on the brush at all ( we're working on improving this behavior at the moment ). Also the palette knife tool can smudge dry media like crayon and so on.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Smudging and blending

Thanks for the advise.

I have tried out both brush with load=0% and thinners=100% which give some effect and with the knife but still cannot get the sort of response that is possible from the real thing.

Using the usual paint packages using smear tends to achieve closer.
    (I suppose that I am trying to achieve the same sort of effect that I could get with the old Fractal Design package Dabbler2 which is no longer available and doesn't work with Windows XP with 1G of ram)
    see;
    http://www.clearwebs.co.uk/index.php...=3&key=8&hit=1

Try using a soft pastel stick and rub it in with your finger and that will show what is possible.

A pencil with a smudging stick produces the same.

I am currently using a Wacom tablet on Windows XP.

Still feel that ArtRage2 has tremendous potential, only I cannot (as yet) achieve the control that I have with the real thing. Looking forward to later developments.