Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How would you compare ArtRage to Kritta or MyPaint?

that's a good perspective - I always forget how much alternative options windows users are having that are either unheard of on mac (microsoft didn't spend a dime to port the allegedly fabulous paint kit that is freshpaint anywhere outside of windows, and painter has been performing like utter shit on mac for a good decade at this point - I switched from windows in 2011, keeping a windows 7 virtual machine for another half decade just to have painter 9 working here.)

I'm not going to argue with you in regards to realism and what we both understand by it; for me, artrage thick oil is natural in an effortless, cleaner than traditional medium way. there're ways to tweak the impasto strength in both artrage 6 and vitae, there're ways to work things around, but since you have a dozen better alternatives in mind, it's just more reasonable to stick to what you already know and trust.

Quote Originally Posted by nekomata View Post
    that's a good perspective - I always forget how much alternative options windows users are having that are either unheard of on mac (microsoft didn't spend a dime to port the allegedly fabulous paint kit that is freshpaint anywhere outside of windows, and painter has been performing like utter shit on mac for a good decade at this point - I switched from windows in 2011, keeping a windows 7 virtual machine for another half decade just to have painter 9 working here.)

I'm not going to argue with you in regards to realism and what we both understand by it; for me, artrage thick oil is natural in an effortless, cleaner than traditional medium way. there're ways to tweak the impasto strength in both artrage 6 and vitae, there're ways to work things around, but since you have a dozen better alternatives in mind, it's just more reasonable to stick to what you already know and trust.
    Yeah, after Apple killed the Power Mac a bunch of software I was interested in just up and croaked and never came back and a bunch of stuff seemed to steadily decline. The new laptops and desktops are more of a return to form from what I understand? Probably will take a bit to get there again with options though. It really sucks to hear that Painter has gotten so bad for Mac... thinking of it I haven't actually looked at new versions in some time so I don't even know what it's like these days.

I feel realism is more subjective in this case than I made it sound anyway and didn't mean to make a fight out of it, I think I just let some old frustrations speak a little too loud for me. Every simulation handles things slightly differently so I feel different people will get something different out of each and even some of the most life-like paint simulations I've used have flaws of some kind or another (the glaring one for Freshpaint being that the max canvas size is abysmal even though I'm pretty sure they licensed the same resolution independent fluid simulation as Rebelle and a few others did). Despite that I'll use any at least some and sometimes the little "off" bits become features themselves even. I can see what you're saying about it feeling natural for sure, lots of programs can get that feeling for me with the right brush settings but in AR it was easy to find something comfortable immediately and because of that I never used defaults and just changed brush settings as I went. The problems I have with their impasto seem to be baked in and just part of the AR look though, it isn't a bad thing by itself and I don't find it distracting or "wrong" in other people's work, but I find myself fighting with it sometimes, even when I'm using it for effect, because of a lack of certain lighting features and unclear feedback from the paint. I still might even change my mind at some point depending on how I feel after trying the AR6 demo, cause it could still wow me for other reasons, but 4 is very good for now and I'm always going to be a bit wary with how stuff tends to go with this sort of change in company image and business model.

oops haven't been around

Quote Originally Posted by casterle View Post
    I, too, am interested in doing Bob Ross style paintings. I just downloaded Krita, but found several brush sets on Deviant Art. Can you tell me which set has the palette knives you're using?
    The set you want is the one environment brushes 2.0 I think and it's by iforce 73, sorry I didn't see this till now, but I am a sloth lol!

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. I'll check out that brush set.