Thread: Painting within lines question

Painting within lines question

New to Artrage.

Watched a YT video where someone drew 6 pear shapes ... then colored and blended them rather quickly.

My question is : how did they paint so quickly and the paint always stayed inside of the pear lines ?

Hello dannac and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    Without seeing the video in question it’s hard to say how they were preventing the blending from spreading beond the original painted areas… ?
    But three possibilities spring to mind off hand;
    1: They were using a stencil which would prevent anything outside of the stencil from being affected.
    2: If the only paint on the layer was the pears themselves, after putting the paint down for them, they had then gone into the layer menu for the active layer and clicked on ’Select Layer Contents’. And then started blending the paint, this too would prevent the paint spreading.
    3: Again if the pears are the only things on the layer, after painting them, if they had then activated ‘Lock Transparency’ this would also prevent paint entering any empty areas of the layer indirectly as a result of using a blending tool.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Thanks for the reply markw.

I understand the part you mentioned about "Lock Transparency", as I have used that in Photoshop.

The pears are line drawings, I did not think "lock transparency" would protect the inside of the pears.

She does everything so quickly. I was going to post a link, but cannot cause I'm too new.

But if you care to see it ... this is the title : " Quick Tip - Comparison of Blending Tools in ArtRage " by user cobse

Thanks

Hi, I've just looked at the YT video you mention. She doesn't lock transparency - if you look closely she doesn't always keep within the lines. With practice you will be able to fill with the brush just as accurately. As for painting with speed. The recording is running faster than normal. If you go to the settings just below the video (a cog with HD in red over it) you can choose a slower speed - .25 will give you a more realistic speed.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    Hi, I've just looked at the YT video you mention. She doesn't lock transparency - if you look closely she doesn't always keep within the lines. With practice you will be able to fill with the brush just as accurately. As for painting with speed. The recording is running faster than normal. If you go to the settings just below the video (a cog with HD in red over it) you can choose a slower speed - .25 will give you a more realistic speed.
    Thanks for the info on how to slow down video, that will sure come in handy.
    I see now that she did not stay within the lines.

Thank you.

PS: Really enjoyed your deviant gallery.
    Last edited by dannac; 09-16-2018 at 10:12 AM.

I've also done it this way: coloured inside the lines then used the eraser for anything outside.

The video definitely isn't about colouring inside the lines lol.