Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Primordial Dream Series

Thanks Dave! For some reason, I generally had been adverse to green and white in my work. Been trying to find ways to work with them lately.

Thanks D.

I have flirted at times with assigning chords a color - Cmaj7 is yellow orange or e-7 flat 5 is blue-green for example - and then painting abstracts based on jazz chord progressions. Kinda like guitarist Pat Martino assigning the letters of the alphabet different note designations and then making compositions based on phrases like "John Coltrane."

Quote Originally Posted by alkratzer View Post
    Thanks D.

I have flirted at times with assigning chords a color - Cmaj7 is yellow orange or e-7 flat 5 is blue-green for example - and then painting abstracts based on jazz chord progressions. Kinda like guitarist Pat Martino assigning the letters of the alphabet different note designations and then making compositions based on phrases like "John Coltrane."
    I fully understand and you may want to try one. Depends on the bassist of your relationship with your wife, cause she might get jealous of your flirtations and diminish your chord.

Other than that, why not? I'm sure all ideas have been explored by somebody -- just that yours would be unique to you. Remember the old Kris Kristopherson line from Me and Bobby McGee: "Looking back and longing for the freedom of my chains. . ."

For me, that is one of the most profound lines in song owing to the myriad implications.

I've found that once I get past seeing it as a limiting structure, it often has the reverse effect and offers some new ideas. For one thing, it allows a level of focus that takes me deeper into it quicker where I explore aspects of a painting I might have previously knocked in because I was looking at the end game too soon -- a pitfall sometimes of getting handy doing something well the same way. And when I play by the "arbitrary" rules of the new parameters it can open up a whole new range of considerations and re-introduces the element of wonder.

Anyway, it's a brilliant notion, if you wanted to try it. Just a caution: I wouldn't recommend looking at it so much like a computer where you feed in a line of music and it merely assigns a color to a pitch. That may be a good starting point. But I would do a few by hand to get the dialog happening with the fresh ideas and how they're playing out. Then after that you can lead it toward a system.

Sounds like great fun. I think the art and the music would open up for you as you orchestrate the relationships.

Go man go!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

BTW, you must have just posted the orange and yellow one. Love it. Great rhythm.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks for the encouragement -- you always have great feedback, from a myriad points of reference.

As far as my wife's attitude towards my flirting with abstract concepts, she is all for anything that keeps be safely occupied and out from under foot.

Here's another

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled 2 09102018 AR SM.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	230.8 KB 
ID:	95930

I am absolutely loving these works especially the last few they seem to have a deeper resonance for me, I like your style. If you ever get the desire to see one printed and framed I bet they would be outstanding!

I can't stop

Yet another in the latest series

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled 3 09102018 AR SM.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	309.6 KB 
ID:	95932

Hi Alkratzer sorry as I'm not with Abstracts or beyond me as too old now did listen to music but when I tried to sing the wife would say shut up

As your Tone deaf OK good to see you again CIAO SLAINTE

Thanks Gary. Been thinking about having some printed in a largish size on canvas and then adding that thick coat of clear resin that is all the rage these days.