Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Primordial Dream Series

Very tasty. I love that you've been experimenting with presentation which is of course an essential part of the chain of creation. Regarding printing, what have you found regarding the paper you're printing on? When high saturation is a key factor I recall that printing on a coated stock or even glossy translates that richness better than the softer uncoated stock look. The ink tends to diffuse and it dulls it down a bit, which may or may not be something one wants. In your case I would think it rather important. What are you finding?
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Been doing a LOT of printing on various papers. Glossy photo stock is clearest and does the best job of replicating the glow thew colors have on screen. However, every time i print on glossy I come away feeling that the results don't quite make it as an "art" print -- they feel somehow "wrong" to me. Top quality photo matte paper holds the detail, but the colors lose some pop. Top quality cold-pressed cotton watercolor paper has a nice "arty" quality, but is a bit mushy on the detail. Finally settled on a multimedia paper that has a bit of tooth, but has enough clay/chalk in it to deliver better details than the WC paper. I discovered that using four coats of a Krylon triple thick spray glaze adds back the wet look of the glossy photo paper, but retains the slight tooth of the art paper. Most satisfying compromise so far. Only problem is that I am an impatient spray painter and have had to discard a few prints due to some running/puddling caused by too heavy an application.

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Very tasty. I love that you've been experimenting with presentation which is of course an essential part of the chain of creation. Regarding printing, what have you found regarding the paper you're printing on? When high saturation is a key factor I recall that printing on a coated stock or even glossy translates that richness better than the softer uncoated stock look. The ink tends to diffuse and it dulls it down a bit, which may or may not be something one wants. In your case I would think it rather important. What are you finding?

ah the journey continues and develops, loving all these. Take a look HERE. I use the Timeless print glaze, very easy and quick and less expensive that Krylon and no spray mists getting on and into everything...

Thanks Gary! I'll look into Timeless glaze ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by gxhpainter View Post
    ah the journey continues and develops, loving all these. Take a look HERE. I use the Timeless print glaze, very easy and quick and less expensive that Krylon and no spray mists getting on and into everything...

Love the Wed AM work very deep and mysterious with bright notes, almost classical in mood. Also please check out InkAid here. I have used it with great success on Arches WC paper and heavy bond papers as well so you can use papers with that deckled edge and still get bright bold colors.

Ooh, yeah, I really like Wed AM. I think the value range going that deep really creates depth (backstory if you will) and highlights the colors as they come forward. Kind of an emergent from the primordial ooze palette. Really nice.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks

The process has a random element to it -- this time I thought the dark/black added pop so I kept it, even though I usually push favor pure colors over black or white.

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Ooh, yeah, I really like Wed AM. I think the value range going that deep really creates depth (backstory if you will) and highlights the colors as they come forward. Kind of an emergent from the primordial ooze palette. Really nice.