Thread: New to both art, and ArtRage

New to both art, and ArtRage

I've never been much of an artist. The few attempts I made with regular paints wound up being just a mess. But now that I am retired (semi), I have wanted to dablle with painting. I found ArtRage by accident and downloaded it. I really enjoy using it, although I have no idea what I am doing. I have never had any instruction on painting or art. I am learning as I go, sort of....

Anyway, here are my first feeble attempts creating art, or something close to it. At least this way, I don't have to clean paintbrushes, the walls, etc... My wife has taken away my brushes and watercolors.....

Name:  Moonshadow.jpeg
Views: 435
Size:  105.9 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Keeping The Peace.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	204.9 KB 
ID:	95792

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fishing At Sunset.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	95793

These are good looking first attempts. I particularly like the shading on the tree in the first image. I hope you enjoy experimenting with digital art

Welcome to the forums!

Hi Gig very good. Like the three the middle. One is it a Submarine??? ok. Ciao. SLAINTE

I was a diver (among other things) on the USS Dallas (SSN-700). I wanted to capture what submarines actually look like underwater. When the sub is moving, they stir up photo-reactive algae, and they emit a soft glow in protest. Other than that, details underwater are pretty fuzzy, unless the water is super-clear. Clear water in the ocean is scarce. Mostly all you see at any distance is shapes. I actually added a little more detail than what would be normal, to make it more recognizable as a sub. I am a total novice at painting. I am hoping to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by eighty+ View Post
    Hi Gig very good. Like the three the middle. One is it a Submarine??? ok. Ciao. SLAINTE

Must be quite an experience being underwater and seeing shapes. I recall that one of the diving sailors on Jacques Clouseau's Calypso was a painter and he took his oil paints down with him to try to capture what he saw -- probably around a reef or somewhere at a depth where there was some light still. But the problem was, when they covered his gallery showing, was that the colors were so off because of being underwater changing color selection and so on, that it was all too abstract for anyone to want to buy one. So he ended up selling nothing. But it was a good try. Working from your recollection and painting in the surface world is probably a whole lot easier.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I am not sure it is possible to paint underwater and get the colors accurate. Colors start to disappear as you go deeper, with red being the first to go. It's really weird, because deeper than about 20 feet, red turns to green, including blood. At around 35 feet, yellows and oranges are gone. Deeper than 60 feet, all you get are shades of blue and green. Of course, using lights underwater will restore the colors, but the lights effect the color depending on what type are used. The colors will still not be true.

I knew a guy that tried to paint underwater while I was in San Diego. We were at 20 feet and he was trying to paint kelp, and abalones on the bottom. A school of parrotfish swam by and they ate all the paint off of his pallet and picture.

I am going to try some whales and sharks in the future. I hope they come out OK.