Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New series I'm working on "saviors of the West" Requesting Feed back

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JBP-Poster-Final.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	376.2 KB 
ID:	95736

I’ve finished the first piece in a series of nine that i’m working on titled “Saviors of the West.” Jordan Peterson is the first focus. I would appreciate any and all feedback or critiques on this poster.
    Felt tip pen, Water color, colored pencil.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Full-Product-Shot.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	500.7 KB 
ID:	95737  

Had to look him up on YouTube as I've not heard of him and the title of your series certainly begs the question who and how and what is the sword present for and both sides of the brain and who and what the proud profile is etc. Now that I've heard a few clips I get what you're saying symbolically in your graphic. Very topical art and it's cool you're using your art as a means of making your point. I'm afraid I'm so out of it, I had to get up to speed so I could compare the image with what you're saying -- just for my personal edification to be able to comment on your art.

As to the art, the drawing is a very good portrait. Looks just like him. Overall, it may be the lack of clarity or degradation in the compression of the jpeg, but the image's readability got a bit dark and fuzzy particularly in one prominent place. And as such I can't quite make out what is in the circle that the sword is resting in.

So my bottom line comment on the overall appearance of the look is that you have a good level of skill. It's a good drawing. And be careful to have your design feature clarity overall lest your social or political comment or whatever your series is going to be saying sounds unclear like a poorly presented argument. Doing this kind of image will draw comment so you don't want to be dismissed because of lack of clarity. I'm not coming down on one side or other of the controversy. I'm taking it from the point of you communicating what you want to communicate in a way that points to what you're saying and not the art. Hope that makes sense. I think since you will be entering the fray, that since you don't want to be dismissed, you may want to articulate every detail as best you can every time lest it reflect poorly on the clarity of your thinking.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Oh, one last thing since this is an ArtRage forum for people using ArtRage. You may find that doing what you're doing in ArtRage, working digitally would get you where you want to go with a whole lot more flexibility to optimally finesse all that hard work. You can download a free trial and you could see how you like it.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thank you very much for your thoughtful response, It's late and I need to digest what you are saying a bit more but You're right, context is important and I'm trying to find a balance for how much I share about my thought process. Let me add a little more context and maybe this will help make it a bit clearer what I wish to explore in this series. Sorror if this is too much info. Someone recently just said I was too pompous with my description, but let me know what you think. I really appreciate your feedback. I'll get to your other points within the next day.

Context:
    Saviors of the West is a series motivated by hope, ambition, and curiosity. I've chosen to portray the individuals who inspire me the most. These "Saviors" use their "influencer" status across the world to exalt the individual, either directly or as an adjunct consequence of their actions. Though the Saviors operate successfully across multiple domains and their actions are diverse within their grouping, the commonality is that they pursue a light that is deeply meaningful within. The Saviors promote the truth and offer encouragement towards what is good. In consequence they've become beacons of light, heroes, and saviors for a great number of people across multiple generations.

This series will focus on the present. There have been a great number of influencers who are responsible for wonderful movements in the past but I think it goes without saying that the times have changed and we must pay attention to what is happening now. We live in the best time of recorded human history. Our recent technical revolution has produced a plethora of creative communicative tools which are now accessible to a majority of the population. Because of this, the individual whose life leads to extraordinary discovery, accomplishment, and growth can now connect, share, and even interact directly with people across the world. Things seem to get better at a higher rate everyday.

My goals in this series are to abstract the Saviors visually, and to reveal a greater understanding of what they represent in terms of personal and group perspective. I hope to reveal the following insights:

1.Why do these influencers effect me on such a deep level?
    2.Why is the experience not constrained to myself but shared by a large number of other individuals?
    3.How are they embedded into the current technological, cultural, and individual experience?

I will use traditional media such as ink, watercolor, and pencil to illustrate multiple large format posters. The imagery will vary from piece to piece but I hope to create the cohesive integration of simple, recognizable, and classic imagery. I plan on exploring 9 distinct influencers as Saviors but I will also develop additional pieces within each one. These additional pieces will explore visual motifs embedded within the 9 original illustrations and hopefully translate a clearer picture of the Saviors.

Why use the word Savior?
    I have often thought of the consequences of using the term "savior", but I feel as though it properly represents this visual exploration. It is not my intention to compare these influencers to a religious figure such as Christ, but I do mean to imply that these illustrations are representative of a calling towards something greater.

Why the west?
    Western Culture has placed a great importance on the sovereignty of the individual. The Saviors are ushering this notion into the present.

Why Dr. Jordan Peterson?

Our culture has been starved of any serious exploration of the religious experience. Religion itself has been thrown aside and regarded as naive, superstitious tales from the past. However, its significance is revealed through Dr. Peterson’s work. Maps of meaning takes a very deep dive into the religious experience and his Biblical Lecture Series offers the public an elevated meaning of these ancient stories. What is it about religious phenomena that we have so arrogantly thrown to the side as false? What is it about the way Dr. Peterson approaches these stories that allows us to pick up what was left behind? Why am i, like so many others, obsessed with exploring these ancient stories and motifs?

It never occurred to me to just ask.

Jordan Peterson asks the reader at the end of twelve rules for life:
    “What will you write with your pen or light?”

Following this series I ask myself a light variation of this:

Me: “What shall I do with my pen of light?”
    Answer: “Draw.”

Me: “What shall I draw?”
    Answer: “Things you do not understand.”

There was a time in my life where things became very chaotic. I got to a point where my actions and perception of the world did not align with who I was, who I could be, or who I wanted to be. During this very uncertain and chaotic time, Dr. Peterson’s work offered me a way to ground myself and find stability, strength, and inspiration. It was a light that shined through at necessary times; it allowed me to rekindle a sense of wonder and connection to religious and mythological phenomena. I was reminded of the creative potential that lay ahead of me as I began to restructure the foundation beneath my feet. A refreshed view of reality helped me begin to build stronger relationships within myself, my family, and friends.

I Also recently finished up a process video of the inking:

Who is next? Aristotle? or The controversial philosopher who completed his ideas finally?

ps what do you think of Joseph Campbell?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    Who is next? Aristotle? or The controversial philosopher who completed his ideas finally?

ps what do you think of Joseph Campbell?
    Gary Vee is next. That's a secret though. I'm trying build up my instagram page and I'm hoping to make this an ongoing process to which I reveal the Saviors.

I do have not much experience with Joseph Campbell's writings. I was drawn to his work earlier in my life, but I never got into it. I do know his work is a derivative of Jung's.