Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help achieving drybrush look.

Help achieving drybrush look.

I have tried by playing with settings (pressure and thinner in particular) to get a dry brush look where you can see the individual bristles of the brush and can use it to scumble one color over another. I have not had success.

It can be done in Photoshop by using a brush made from a sample of some random spots to simulate the bristle spread of a dry brush. Is this effect of opaque paint scumbled dry over an other color obtainable with ArtRage Studio?

Here is a sample of what I mean:

Thank you.

I made a couple presets for the Oil Brush, which I think work well for that type of effect. Here they are if you'd like to try them (an example of what they look like can be seen in the attached image at the bottom of my post):

Bristle Round.prs
    Bristle Square.prs

ArtRage studio Pro allows users to import PhotoShop .abr files to use with the Sticker Spray tool, so you should be able to use any brush you saw that way, as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bristle.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	50547
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thank you. I'll try those pre-sets asap. It is nice of you to share those. I got a mailing for a discount upgrade to pro but I don't know whether to save the money towards an iPad for ArtRage painting. The only pro features I could want is Photoshop brush import and maybe the ability to use Photoshop filters very rarely.

Photoshop brush import is also available in Studio. You can access it by opening the presets panel for the Sticker Spray and choosing 'Import Photoshop Brush' from the menu.

I was able to tweak those brushes for a perfect scumble effect. Thank you someonesane!

Thank you DaveRage re, the PS brushes. I had not read the manual being with ArtRage since the V.1 Beta. I tried my PS 7 brushes and there was an error trying to import any. Is that too old a version you think?
    Last edited by momodot; 11-26-2010 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Add sample image...

Quote Originally Posted by momodot View Post
    I was able to tweak those brushes for a perfect scumble effect. Thank you someonesane!

No problem.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Bitmap brushes should be able to be imported, if brushes aren't imported they are probably not bitmap brushes. However, could you email me at [email protected] with the name of the file you're trying to import and the exact text of the error message? I should be able to get a better understanding of what might be happening and help you further.

I will email you asap. Thank you. I tried the standard PS7 .abr brushes such as Natural Media.abr, Wet Media.abr, Dry Media.abr, Square Brushes.abr. Maybe I must save out a single brush rather than these brush sets?

someonesane, your pre-sets have lead me to a whole set of dry and "turped out" brushes that totally rock for scumbling and building "color texture" and broken-color. I'm getting natural media effects I've never gotten before. Thank you.

Smile Biting the floor

Someonesane - THANKS for the square- and round-bristles here: this is awesome! Exactly what I need in the moment for a little flyer-design-work- JUST in TIME!

I'm kneein' on the floor.. happy and nearly biting one of the cats here...

Grinning:
    Klaus