Thread: What the Years Have Given - 3

What the Years Have Given - 3

this painting called for a restrained ( for me ) color pallet and a more somber mood, hope you all can enjoy it for what it says...to you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	What the Years Have Given-3.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	532.2 KB 
ID:	95690  

Gary I love this one, the patterns are really good and also love those colors

Quote Originally Posted by pat1940 View Post
    Gary I love this one, the patterns are really good and also love those colors
    Thanks Pat I was unsure of this one initially and the colors gave me pause as I am so in the habit
    of using bright and saturated colors, which is exactly why I steered away from those for this work...it was definitely a stretch for me but I am very happy you like it, and it has received lots of positive comments
    on Instagram as well.

Gary there was no need to be unsure with this, I actually felt very peaceful looking at this, I came back the second and third time, thats how much I love this piece

More wild free-associations than most for me. In addition to all that, this started to take on a comic book feel owing to those shapes taking on a distinctly figurative look to me. I could look at this one were it on my wall and have a different story each time, kind of like Bradbury's Illustrated Man -- only not dark at all where his was.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    More wild free-associations than most for me. In addition to all that, this started to take on a comic book feel owing to those shapes taking on a distinctly figurative look to me. I could look at this one were it on my wall and have a different story each time, kind of like Bradbury's Illustrated Man -- only not dark at all where his was.
    an interesting take on this D Akey, its great that it is tickling your imagination more than usual....

it makes me think of how gems are made-under pressure like the lessons we learn in life- i like it a lot
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

Quote Originally Posted by Selby View Post
    it makes me think of how gems are made-under pressure like the lessons we learn in life- i like it a lot
    thanks Selby ! a good analogy for this one...

Oh wow, Gary....another awesome piece. I see a happy childhood filled with fun rides on a unicorn of an old carousel and county fairs with cotton candy.

Very nice Gary!
    I'm liking the low contrast in this, it sets the mood like the weather here... cloudy and windy with a high chance of rain.
    My favorite kind of weather.... Well done!