Thread: Crazy Big File Size

Crazy Big File Size

Hey,

I've been using AR for a little while but have recently added the ipad into the workflow (not sure if that's relevant). I had problems with ptg files growing too large so after sniffing round on the web I investigated creating the separate elements in their own files, merging the layers then bringing them together in in a base canvas.The canvas size is pretty small 1920x1080 and the elements are less that a 1/3 of that size.

The individual files are maybe 5 Mb or 20Mb but when I add them, by using copy and paste from one ptg image to another the saved file size is over a Gb. This sounds crazy to me for a 3 layered image of this size.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I did want the print / canvas size to be larger originally but scaled back my ideas after repeated machine crashes due to crazy file sizes of several Gb.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received. I'm using AR lite on a 2015 Macbook pro 8Gb.

Thanks.

Hello herewego and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    First I have to say right of the bat, I don’t know why your files are coming in so big. Sorry!
    Secondly, that’s not a typical workflow that’s generally needed in AR in my experience.
    I’ve used AR for many years (I think a late v2 is the oldest version I have) and I typically work at around 3500x4900px. And maybe ending up with 20 or so layers sometimes.
    But my finished file sizes have, as far as I can recall, rarely gone much above 500MB or so.
    You should be able with your system to do the entire painting start to finish in the one file I would have thought.
    Hopefully someone from development will be able to chip in here…
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

One thought: We found a bug in an older version of ArtRage Lite where resources were being duplicated many times, which might explain large file sizes. I'd recommend updating the to the latest version ( 5.0.7 ) via the member area if you're currently using an older version.

If that doesn't help, or if you have any problems, please email me at [email protected] and we can do some troubleshooting with you.

Thanks both. Have upgraded to latest version. I was a bit confused by the prompt to upgrade, I thought I had to move off the lite version but I'm on 5.07 so will give that a go.

Thanks - yes it was totally this^^

Saving a 2.3 Gb file now reduced to 5.5 Mb !!

Thanks for the feedback, that's great to hear! Sorry you had to put up with those large file sizes in the meantime.