Thread: Can 3D look of paint be turned off?

Can 3D look of paint be turned off?

sometimes I want oil paint strokes to have thickness and brush marks..other times not. Can I shut this off somewhere?

thank you!

Hello again scrbblecatt,
    The lighting in AR is “global” for want of a better term and as such affects all layers and there content equally.
    It is not a property of the brush making the strokes.
    The light can be turned of in the Canvas Settings Panel, effectively “removing” the Oil Brush texture but again this will affect all other layers too.

3 ways around this would be to…

1: Turn Off Canvas Lighting and export just the Layer you want not to be lit as a .png file. (this can be done from the Layer’s individual drop-down menu, bottom right corner of said layer)
    Turn Lighting back on.
    Go to File > Import Image to Layer… and import the layer you just exported and move it to where the original is and finally delete the original layer.

2: Similar to above, and quicker, with no need to turn Off Canvas Lighting.
    Again open the individual layer’s drop-down menu and choose; Export Layer to Channels.
    This will separate the layer into the 4 “parts” that go into constructing what we see as a brush stroke.
    Look for the exported colour image and reimport as above and delete the original layer.

3: For the strokes not requiring any texture you could use another tool like the Custom Brush say that is visually similar but without depth texture.

Apart from the messing around involved in the first two ideas, a possible downside to all three is that the reimported images or the “another tool” option, will only be given a nominal paint “depth” by AR which may be an issue if blending it with other paint later.
    There are ways around this too, but one thing at a time

Edit:
    Just noticed you asked this here in the iOS sub forum.
    As I don’t have an iOS devise, not sure how much of the above might apply outside of the desktop version of AR5…
    Last edited by markw; 07-02-2018 at 06:28 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Thanks for posting the info, Markw!

In the iOS version, you can turn off canvas lighting by opening the layer panel menu ( top right of the layer panel ) and unchecking 'Canvas Lighting'

This is a global setting as Markw mentioned, so affects the entire painting. While the iOS version doesn't have the custom brush, it does have some tools which ignore the canvas grain and don't build up texture, like the Pencil with precise mode turned on in settings, or the Ink Pen tool.

I hope this is of some help.

thank you to both of you. I have AR for Mac and iPad, and haven't used the software in awhile. it’s coming back, the global nature of dimensional paint.

cheers!