Thread: struggle with painting

struggle with painting

Does anyone every struggle with making their painting look right? For instance I doing painting of my son and his dog. Problem with the hand and fingers looking right. Do I just need to stop and take a break? I done several paintings with people and surprised myself with the results. Included is ref and painting. Name:  caleb and bit.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  51.4 KBName:  caleb and bit2.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  57.6 KB

Of course. Everybody struggles to one degree or other. That's the fun.

I think in your case as shown in the second pic your approach may be what's fighting you. Might be in your interest to either keep a photo on a layer that you toggle on and off to keep you in the ballpark, or you might want to focus on working with structure. If you know structure, you know why you're putting a mark down and what form you're creating. If you're just trying to follow highlights you could see tones and not know why they are doing what they're doing, so unless you're following it exactly there's no real sense to what's happening.

It's a little like trying to memorize a long string of random numbers vs a song lyric. You might be able to remember the numbers with extreme difficulty, but lyrics have a lot of things that keep you on track where one thing clearly leads to the next and the next and prompts you step by step. And once you have the sense of something you can then get all artsy with it while still holding on to the sense of it.

But yeah, of course. Painting is challenging, and when it isn't it's sort of boring because one is not growing. And the hardest thing to paint is someone you love or know in great depth. But in your case I would say look for the planes of the form, get the big picture right and then start breaking it down. It kind of looks like you're starting with the details first which presents challenges.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I think I need to go back to the portrait tutorial of Dali and block everything in then do the detail . Just simplify my palate instead making it look like the pic.