Thread: mountains using Bob Ross’ palette knife technique

mountains using Bob Ross’ palette knife technique

Any advice on translating certain palette knife techniques into AR?

Applying, spreading, smearing translate readily, but when Bobs applies highlights, he uses a physical reality which exists on real canvas but not in AR: high and low spots on the paint to “catch” paint from the lightly-dragged knife.

Clearly I need a brush with a texture or thinner or loading I can vary; so far results are very, “meh.”

Maybe I need to completely forget about the tools Bob Ross uses, and embrace other techniques for applying color in the way he does it..

thank you for any tips on this!

Using rough canvas texture and chalk will produce something like this. I used a plain canvas for the mountain layer and the layer above has the textured canvas.

Name:  mountain.jpg
Views: 5892
Size:  51.3 KB
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

I used a wet on wet with the android app and it works well enough for me I find the main trick is using a two pass approach first set the rough peaks then use the edge to pull it down high light with white using pencil if needed I used full pressure and no load on the second pass some times I even follow with wet to soften I posted an image in my feedback thread