I will be going through the exercise of reworking the following from a compositional perspective.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FinalAppleCropped8_5x11.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	273.3 KB 
ID:	95377

I am using this process to learn and apply principles of composition. I am NEW to composition so I am no expert, but I thought some might find watching me go through the exercise interesting.

The above is what I settled on as a final version cropping of the following entire canvas, which as you can see has not been completed in detail everywhere.

Name:	FullCanvas.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	95378

In thinking about what this work is to me, and what the areas of interest should be the obvious answer is the apple. The interest in the apple itself is augmented by its shadow on its surroundings and it reflections in the surroundings. If one were to try to describe a pattern of interest here I would say it is roughly triangular, moving about and through the details of the apple's edges, its highlight, the stem, the reflection on the white jar as well as through the shadow and the reflection.

This is roughly what I guess is the pattern of interest:

Name:	FullCanvasEyeInterest.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	173.8 KB 
ID:	95379

No armature for the picture was planned, there seems to be (ignoring the background for now) three higher value masses, the lighter portions of the jars and the apple, interspersed with three darker value masses represented by the dark area of the apple and greenish jar, the darker area of the white jar as well as the dark table. A secondary mass might be represented by the reflection of the green jar in the white jar and the reflection of the apple in the table (although this last is so subtle and dark it arguably does not exist currently)

This roughly shows what I see as the higher value masses:

Name:	FullCanvasValueMassest.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	95380

Next time we will actually start trying to frame, and adjust the composition in view of the above analysis. The approach will be to mostly work with what we have but adjust it as necessary.

Cheers!