Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple Still-life Composition Based Rework

Lovely apple DarkOwnt! I want to reach out and eat it.

It's fascinating reading through all the compositional analysis and process too - something I tend to pay too little attention on. Removing the gap between the jars really has coalesced the scene together in a more harmonious manner. Such a small change with such a large impact.

Thank your for the kind words Bertrude!

I'm still learning about composition but I am excited about its potential!

Value Study for a Rough Fix

After some experimentation, I decided that I should avoid drastic changes such as jar tops, or out of frame objects casting shadows... I've concentrated on reducing the diameter of the jar on the right and reducing its value (more grey than white), as well as used subtle gradient to keep the eye from wandering out of the top edge of the work. To fix the lower portion of the work I have decided to punch the reflections a little bit and break up the edge of the table by using a corner instead. This provides a path into the work and a supporting frame which aligns to some of the flow of the objects.

I think I will settle on something very much like this in the actual rework. I might refine some surface features in the table (very subtle wood grain) or in the left jar.

Anyway I am happy with the overall compositional improvement indicated by this value study and will put it all together in a final version.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FirstStillCompositionValueStudyRoughFix2.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	95479

Here are the results of my composition based rework.

Name:	FirstStillCompositionRework1.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	95480

Comments, thoughts?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Ok I fussed over it a little bit more... gotta step away for a while!

Name:	FirstStillCompositionRework2.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	95486

Ok. So I smeared the reflection out to the left a little, made a subtle brightness gradient to the reflection of the white jar and softened the edges of the groove on the right, and added an overall further subtle gradient at the bottom.

This is the final version I will post here.

As a beginner at composition, I am very eager to hear any feedback or comments! Did the process succeed? Is this final rework better? Were there things I could have or should have (or should not have) done?

Original.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. ....................Final Version

Name:	FinalAppleCropped8_5x11.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	273.3 KB 
ID:	95526 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FirstStillCompositionReworkFinal.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	95525

I'm not much of an art critic, but I definitely find the placement of the apple in the final version more visually appealing, as well as the change you made to the surface. My eye is drawn more to the subject of the image too. It's a really nice looking painting!

Thank you very much for the feedback Dave!

Nice work DO! You nailed it.

I have been off painting with traditional paints (oil) so have had nothing to contribute here.

I just saw this video and thought I would share it here. Her videos are worth watching. Her three-part brush strokes videos remind me how much art has come before us all. They are "really" worth watching. Here is the compositional video:

Again, Nice work Man!
    Robert Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by HwyStar View Post
    Nice work DO! You nailed it.

I have been off painting with traditional paints (oil) so have had nothing to contribute here.

I just saw this video and thought I would share it here. Her videos are worth watching. Her three-part brush strokes videos remind me how much art has come before us all. They are "really" worth watching. Here is the compositional video:

Again, Nice work Man!
    Thanks Robert! I'm still not 100% happy... but I think I need to move on to something new!

The resource I am primarily using to learn composition is Ian Roberts book "Mastering Composition", it includes a DVD as well. I think it is an amazing book, with just the right balance of explanation of principles and examples.

This is a little preview I found on YouTube