Thread: Color sampler problem

Color sampler problem

Quote Originally Posted by JanPospisil View Post
    I updated to AR5 before starting a project (always a good idea, right? ) and thought it should be fine.
    Instead I spent a whole day somewhat frustrated.

1) Changes to the Preset menu added a column for Groups and this space is completely wasted since I don't use Groups, it threw off the way I had my layout arranged and now I can see less of the painting. I started using the docked mode, which is fine except for the tool icons. (they're monochromatic and quite similar, I keep spending quite a bit of time looking for the right tool)

2) I specifically updated for the Perspective tool, because I was going to rely on it in this new project. It's quite disappointing, especially after having worked with Manga Studio's excellent analogue.
    - why can't I create a 3 point perspective grid? (I suspect "Because it's too difficult, so we didn't bother.")
    - why can't I tilt the horizon line?! (I'm an illustrator and that was one of the first things I wanted to do. Again, very useful and expected out of a perspective tool, but can't be done in AR.)
    The tool in Manga Studio can do both these things easily.

3) The eyedropper sampler tool now works differently for some reason - there's a setting for area of sampling. That's fine, but why is it set to a rather large area by default?!
    I painted for a while and the painting got muddier and muddier and I wondered why the color I seemingly picked from the canvas wasn't the colour I painted later. Well, of course, it's the eyedropper tool doing an average from the area around my sample. (this pretty much ends up working like a Gauss filter, blurring and muddying values)
    Once I set it to size 1, it worked as before.

4) One of the most amazing things I've always loved about ArtRage was the quick canvas flip and how I could interact with the canvas in that mode. After painting in 5 for a while, I noticed I couldn't paint while flipped. And I couldn't move the canvas around on screen either. (which helps if you're flipping while zoomed in and when you want to see the part of the painting you were looking at before the flip.)
    I searched the forums and there it was - people wondering why it was removed. The reason was even more disappointing - it wasn't a feature, it was a bug. Seriously?! THIS WAS GREAT!
    And it'd be too much work to have it working properly, so you remove it entirely?!
    That's just sad.

It's possible I'll find something useful in AR5 in the future, but my first few weeks trying to work with it were just spent in frustration, running into one problem after another.

So I'm pulling my hair out right now about the color sampler and why it's not picking accurate colors. Thankfully I stumbled upon your post, but I actually can't find, for the life of me, where I can make that setting change!
    Can you point me in the right direction? I see nothing in the manual, and I see nothing in the settings......

The colour sampler in the current version of ArtRage works the same way as the previous version when default settings are used, so if you are seeing different behaviour, I suspect it relates to a change in settings.

First thing to check:

Select the eyedropper tool, open the settings panel, then click the menu button at the top right of the panel.
    From the menu, choose 'default settings'
    You should see that the 'expand area' setting is set to 0%, which means that you will only be sampling the pixel directly under the cursor.

If this doesn't help, please let me know in as much detail what is happening, and I'll be happy to help.

Moving this to a new thread in the technical support forum.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    The colour sampler in the current version of ArtRage works the same way as the previous version when default settings are used, so if you are seeing different behaviour, I suspect it relates to a change in settings.

First thing to check:

Select the eyedropper tool, open the settings panel, then click the menu button at the top right of the panel.
    From the menu, choose 'default settings'
    You should see that the 'expand area' setting is set to 0%, which means that you will only be sampling the pixel directly under the cursor.

If this doesn't help, please let me know in as much detail what is happening, and I'll be happy to help.

Moving this to a new thread in the technical support forum.

Thank you! My pc had been down and out for awhile, so I'm getting reaquainted with the new version. For now I'm staying in classic mode.
    I've been using shortcut keys on my tablet for color sampling for years before, I had no idea there was a little color sample dropper next to the eraser there.

So I was able to get to the settings and saw that 'lighting' was an option and it was set to on. I turned it off and reduced the expansion area. Problem solved.
    I might make a tiny suggestion, to turn this off automatically in the dropper settings if canvas lighting is turned off. Or maybe it's fine and I now know what's up.

Anyway, my error. Thanks so much for the prompt reply and for the great software!
    Last edited by Polioliolio; 06-15-2018 at 04:07 PM.

No problem! Glad to hear it's working correctly for you now. I'll put a note in our list to consider changing that when canvas lighting is off, thanks for the feedback!