Thread: Query re: jpeg export and visible banding

Query re: jpeg export and visible banding

Hi. I'm trying to export a jpeg image from AR but keep noticing banding that's occuring in some areas - a sky area in my case. I've got the jpeg quality set to 100% in the advanced preferences but still have this happen (please see attachment). Is it to be expected due whatever compression is still taking place?

I can work around it - tiff files output better but wanted to mention it in case there's a problem with the jpeg export.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sky crop.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	95334

EDIT:
    I've also managed to work around it by duplicating my sky background and applying 8% monochromatic noise. It's still a little apparent but not so obvious.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sky crop 8pc noise.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	95335
    Last edited by Bertrude; 06-12-2018 at 02:07 AM. Reason: To clarify banding as an issue in the title

Hi Bertrude,

It's likely that the banding is due to jpeg compression, but it'd still be worthwhile looking into this. Could you email me at [email protected] and attach the source painting file if it's small? Alternatively if it's a larger file, if you can email me, we can sort out a way of getting the file and taking a look at it.

Thanks for the help Dave. My original ptg file is over 560MB so I'll strip it down and send you a dropbox link to it via email when it eventually uploads.