Thread: Color Samples sort by Blue, Red, Green values explained?

Color Samples sort by Blue, Red, Green values explained?

Is there a reason why the Color Samples window has the option to sort by Red, Green, Blue value options instead of just sorting by value?

If we had the option to have the program convert the color samples into gray values "then" it would sort by values and ignore the color status? I am not sure if ArtRage can do this? The results may look strange and this is why the ArtRage team decided to go the three color route?

Thanks for your input in advance ArtRage dev team. "Values Do All the Work. Color Gets All the Credit".
    Robert Hopkins

You can sort by H, S, L, R, G, and B as well as name...

It sounds like the sorting method you're looking for is 'Sort samples by luminance', if I'm understanding correctly. The Red, Green, Blue value options are basically extra sorting methods we added in case anyone wanted them

Let me know if I've misunderstood!

Hi Dave!

Well look at that: Yes, sorting by Luminance does sort the sample by grayscale value. I did not understand the logic of the luminance control until I played around with the scroll bar and saw how scrolling to the left or right on the color wheel that the color changed by value. Consider changing the pop up menu text to be: Sort by Luminance/Value?

Name:  unnamed.png
Views: 172
Size:  334.4 KB

How about adding the feature to the color samples window to scan an image file for 5, 25 or 50 colors? That would be very cool. I know that other emerging programs are doing this feature now.

Thanks for the reply Dave and welcome back to the forum! If you do talk to Hannah again then please give her my best. She will be missed.
    Last edited by HwyStar; 06-07-2018 at 09:07 PM.
    Robert Hopkins

Luminance and Value are actually slightly different things and as we don't do HSV sorting we didn't include that in the text. However, we'll certainly consider Value sorting in the future, along with the colour scan idea, that's one that we've seen come up a few times!

Thanks for the replies AR Team!
    Robert Hopkins