Thread: The Brother Ferry of My Wife Eve

The Brother Ferry of My Wife Eve

In last time I created a brand new "oil" artwork of my relative. I used an ArtRage 5.0 of course. My time for this work: approx. four weeks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artrage-portrait-F.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	406.5 KB 
ID:	95223  

Hi Alex,

Stunning attention to detail. Everyone must be very pleased. 4 weeks is true dedication to one's craft. Well done!

I must say I'm a little reluctant to criticize such a brilliant work, but since this is the Critique section I assume you would like comments.

So much is really fantastic. The jacket is especially outstanding. However, this is a portrait and the most important thing is the face. I'm sure it looks very much like him, so that's very good. I would however brighten his eyes a bit. It probably looks exactly like the photo, but they're a bit dull. I would brighten the whites some and the reflections a little. You would have to experiment to know how much is the right amount. But the eyes are a very important feature in portraits. Photo retouchers are always fixing the exposure of the eyes so that they stand out more and seem more lifelike. And that tells how important that feature is.

It's easy enough to make a new layer and try coming in with some extra contrast.

But it really is a wonderful painting.
    Last edited by D Akey; 05-23-2018 at 06:37 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

a low-spirited eyes

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Hi Alex,

Stunning attention to detail. Everyone must be very pleased. 4 weeks is true dedication to one's craft. Well done!

I must say I'm a little reluctant to criticize such a brilliant work, but since this is the Critique section I assume you would like comments.

So much is really fantastic. The jacket is especially outstanding. However, this is a portrait and the most important thing is the face. I'm sure it looks very much like him, so that's very good. I would however brighten his eyes a bit. It probably looks exactly like the photo, but they're a bit dull. I would brighten the whites some and the reflections a little. You would have to experiment to know how much is the right amount. But the eyes are a very important feature in portraits. Photo retouchers are always fixing the exposure of the eyes so that they stand out more and seem more lifelike. And that tells how important that feature is.

It's easy enough to make a new layer and try coming in with some extra contrast.

But it really is a wonderful painting.
    Thank you for your very quick (as a quick silver) reply and very pleasantly reply. Of course, you keep a thrue as for the complete portrait. But, concerning the eyes, his eyes are very inexpressive ones. Really. He was 69 years old. The eyes and drinking ;-( . This is matter of fact. Yes, the chamois-leather is as really. And the tie too. I am 75 years old and I like an admire a holland and russia painters (high details) :-) .
    Thank you once more for your remarks.

as to the eyes, I was going to compliment you on how well you showed the cataracts in the eyes. Very dull with almost no reflection. If you were going for realism you probably nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by carlcath View Post
    as to the eyes, I was going to compliment you on how well you showed the cataracts in the eyes. Very dull with almost no reflection. If you were going for realism you probably nailed it.
    Many thanks for your remarks. I try to do very carefully, it´s my temper even in my all life.
    Many greetnigs to Missisipi.

I have no critique to offer but just wanted to say how beautifully you've captured all the fabric from leather to tie and the metal of the zipper-it just looks like it could come right out the page
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

Quote Originally Posted by Selby View Post
    I have no critique to offer but just wanted to say how beautifully you've captured all the fabric from leather to tie and the metal of the zipper-it just looks like it could come right out the page
    I have to say "Thank you very much" for your reply/echo/review. My age is 75 years and I have been working carefully all my active life . I have constructed an aeroplane measuring devices (e.g. artifical horizont) in Aeronautical Research Institute and my precision ware welcome. I very admire Netherlandish painting from 15th and 16th Centuries (Frans Floris, Pieter Brueghel II).
    Thank you one more,...