Thread: Shaped Oil Brush Brush Contact - Request for the next Oil Brush engine of the future

Shaped Oil Brush Brush Contact - Request for the next Oil Brush engine of the future

Currently ArtRage calculates laying down paint with an Oil brush (during the stroke) as a 1D line essentially, at right angles to the stroke.

For the next oil brush engine (whenever that happens) I request that the oil brush calculate brush contact in the shape of the brush itself (square, rectangle, circle, ellipse).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AROilBrushStrokeShape.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	313.7 KB 
ID:	95113

have you tried using a palette knife with rotation locked for this?

it will give you very similar results if I understand your approach to this correctly;
    you are basically asking the brush engine to respect pen tilt/bearing at the beginning of each stroke instead of aligning with stroke direction like it does at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by nekomata
    It will give you very similar results if I understand your approach to this correctly;
    you are basically asking the brush engine to respect pen tilt/bearing at the beginning of each stroke instead of aligning with stroke direction like it does at the moment.
    One of the issues DO is talking about can be seen in my tulips painting on another thread (https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...shes-6-8-of-8)).

An ArtRage "rounded" oil brush has a starting stroke that starts as a round brush; but at the end of the stroke, the oil is finishing as a line.

A real oil brush will be rounded at the beginning and also at the end of the stroke. That is just one of the aspects that are not working properly, as DO's graphic shows. The tip of the brush would slide off the canvas and leave its mark as it did. Unless you picked up the brush with its bristles still touching the canvas, and the brush was pulled straight off. That is really not a natural hand motion. Put a brush in your hand and try what I am describing. The stroke starts out round, is a thick line then ends with another round tip of the stroke.

I am sure the ArtRage team would have already fixed the oil brush issues by now if they could. It may just not be possible.

Thanks for your post in the other thread DO! Thanks nekomata and ArtRage team!
    Robert Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by HwyStar View Post
    One of the issues DO is talking about can be seen in my tulips painting on another thread (https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...shes-6-8-of-8)).
    Ohhh right I got what both of you mean - it's just not really obvious from their illustration that presents physical brush line as completely flat on both ends, practically identical to a palette knife stroke in AR.

I am sure the ArtRage team would have already fixed the oil brush issues by now if they could. It may just not be possible.
    I'm afraid this won't be possible with the current oil brush tech since it had very little iterative improvement past ver. 4, or so; however if artrage team decided to add depth painting to the custom brush tool and further expand on its possibilities, you might have a better chance at getting realistic brush behaviour from it. (paintstorm developer is working on a similar brush method at the moment, I believe.)

I'd just like to add to this discussion the following subtlety:

When a real world brush (softer and long rather than stiff and short) is pressed hard enough into the canvas, the bristles will bend or fold over, and during a stroke although a large patch of the brush will contact the canvas, that shape and the leading edge will depend greatly on the shape of the brush. Although the dynamics of such would be difficult to physically simulate to perfection, a predetermined shape of brush contact and the front edge could be varied based on the "shape" of brush chosen and the pressure applied: i.e. the shape of brush contact would morph as a function of pressure, direction of stroke (and orientation of brush).
    Last edited by DarkOwnt; 05-03-2018 at 11:47 PM.