Thread: [BUG] The pencil tilt settings are not working as expected (tested on Surface Book 2)

Exclamation [BUG] The pencil tilt settings are not working as expected (tested on Surface Book 2)

Just testing the Pencil tool on Surface Book 2, and disappointed to see that the tilt settings are not working correctly (for me/this device at least).

With a real pencil on paper, having the pencil perpendicular to the page (not tilted) should create a thinner line/mark. Holding the pencil at an angle to the paper yields a thicker line/mark.

With Artrage 5, by default the opposite is true. I've attached a screenshot to show this. Changing tilt settings to 100% only changed one scenario as you can see in the screenshot.

Just wondering if the devs have noticed this, or if there will be a fix in the next update? I've supported Artrage for years so bit disappointed to see it's not working with my new laptop.

Hope to hear from you.

All the best,
    J

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	212.5 KB 
ID:	95059  

Can you open Set Stylus Properties (from the menu in the top of the Settings panel) and see what 'Tilt Angle' is set to? Is 'Invert' ticked?

This might relate to an issue with tilt that we've fixed on Surface devices in our internal build and are currently testing. Could you drop an email to [email protected] and we can look in to it to see if this specific problem has been addressed.

Hi Hannah & Matt!

Thanks for following up on this.

I've sent a reply to Hannah there. Sadly inverting the Set Stylus Properties for both Airbrush and Pencil tools does not fix the issue. I have emailed screenshots of this - I'll try to attach those here too. It doesn't appear to be an issue with the tablet driver as Krita and Photoshop are handling tilt without issues.

It's great to hear that you're actively working on this. In any case here are some screenshots:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture3.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	95085   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captured.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	95086  

Just to clarify - I suppose the main issue that's bothering me is that the pencil tool will still draw with a wider (tilted) stroke, even when the pencil is perpendicular to the screen (even when a small brush size is set).

I hope this information has been helpful, and thanks again for looking into this. Let me know if you'd like me to test anything or provide more info for you.

-J.