Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Another Pear - A Test for my SquareMess custom brushes

Thanks for the positive thumbs up guys! I'm trying my fingers off.
    Robert Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Weatherford View Post
    Hmm, it does create a bit of an impasto effect, maybe you could combine the two, and keep the thicker paint on the highlite only?

That Simon Stalenhag gallery was such a trip. I've not seen so many detail shots of his work before. Curious about his process. One of the painters I work with, Michael Macrae, does similar work in that it appears really tight, but up close it is a pretty loose network of brushstrokes.
    Thanks Chad, I've done more processing, essentially using a mask to blend the impasto version with a canvas texture only version. I found choosing the highlights, edges, and areas where the subject has texture (e.g. table surface) work best. I also use the fake impasto in the process so that the thick strokes naturally give way to the canvas where they are thinner. I have done a lot of playing around with this and other software to try to make them do things they can't do -eg custom brushes simply do not make impasto strokes - been doing it for years with Corel and ArtRage, mostly for experimentation and maybe creating a workflow for something out of the ordinary, but I'm getting tired of it. I think I just need to focus on and work with what is available...

Simon is a genius of perception ... he seems to know exactly what needs detail and what doesn't, what needs texture and how... and it doesn't matter how apparent and stark the brush strokes look ... he knows when we look at the "subject" the brush strokes will disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by HwyStar View Post
    Thanks for the positive thumbs up guys! I'm trying my fingers off.
    Fingers? You finger painting like Chad?

LOL! Fingers? We don't need no stinking badges! (Blazing Saddles)

I wonder... Could this be another reason that he can command abstraction because he does not have a tool to do detail work with? That may be worth trying on the side? Now if I could just get my non-touch Wacom to recognize my fingers... I'll just whip out my iPad and give that a try.
    Robert Hopkins

I love this painting for the vibrant colors and the contrast of the tulips against the sky and also the depth, wonderful painting

Thanks for the kind words, Pat!
    Robert Hopkins

I'm looking at this pear again after watching a few Draw Mix Paint videos by Mark Carder and well I kind of hate this new pear now... and I think I need to rethink the square mess brushes.

It just looks more like messy color pencil scratches to me now...sigh... back to the drawing board.

I have watched all of Mark's videos too so don't despair (get it: despair!). Honestly, I really don't care for his paintings. They are too dark for my tastes. His style to me looks like a 15th-century painting. Dark and dismal. No life to it. Yes, they are accurate but void of life. But that is just my opinion. I have his paints. They really only work well for his style of painting.

It is good that we look at your pear again with fresh eyes. For me, the marination stage is the hardest stage. I want to post my paintings somewhere as quickly as possible without waiting. Maybe it is the excitement of getting it right? I can do this painting thing? Looking at my tulip painting above, from just a week ago there are several things to it now that I dispise. The first and second row of yellow tulips need work still, badly.

I like your pear! The SM brush may need to have the grain set slightly lower. Maybe just 5-10%? Just a pinch! We all go through phases. Don't get discouraged. It's a process we have to go through.
    Robert Hopkins