Thread: Easier way to make subtle color shifts

Easier way to make subtle color shifts

I'm finding it a little awkward making subtle adjustments to the brush color. i am using desktop mode at 2560 x 1440 res and i find both the sliders and the square color selector to be too small to reliably make subtle adjustments to color. i hate selecting the number and typing it in manually which I find very awkward time consuming and detracts from the organic painting process.

I absolutely want to keep desktop mode, and the current resolution and since the widgets no longer can be resized I must conclude that using sliders or selectors of suitable size for subtle adjustments is simply impossible.

I would request that some other method for subtle adjustments be provided until scaling of panels is reintroduced.

I can think of two possible solutions although there may be others...
    1. Increment and decrement buttons on either side of each slider. this would allow fine incremental control of r g b h s l with the stylus... no worries about resolution or typing.
    2. current brush color adjustments via bindable hotkeys.. r g b and h s l increment. and decrement (by a set delta) separately bindable to key presses... while painting with a color one can interactively tweak the color without having to even use the color picker .. being able to control one unit at a time would allow maximum control of subtle color changes

Anywho, with high res monitors and tablets becoming standard it would help if easy and intuitive subtle color adjustment were possible!

cheers!

Even if I had perfect dexterity to control the stylus perfectly one tiny pixel at a time on the tiny color picker, the color picker sliders and "square picker area" resolutions limit the ability to make subtle adjustments.

The sliders appear to be about 116 pixels in length providing only 116 levels of adjustment

Name:  ColorPicker1.jpg
Views: 1309
Size:  67.6 KB

The square picker and other slider are also limited.

Name:  ColorPicker2.jpg
Views: 8870
Size:  61.4 KB

interesting observation on physical slider size affecting value picking accuracy.

I def. wish there were either larger color sampling palettes (almost two years after the release, and I still can't get used to the AR 5 functionality downgrade on this with seemingly no way to use the system color picker with artrage's color palettes),

or at least a way to add/subtract incremental values with arrow keys (c*rel p*inter has this feature.)

You can change bright red to blue, for example, without colors becoming overly saturated or damaging the overall tonality of the image. And your selections can feather and blend seamlessly into neighboring pixels without any visible fringing.