Thread: Hello everybody , new to the forum

Hello everybody , new to the forum

I am a new artist, just bought artrage for iPad and was wondering if you can help me a bit with the canvas sizing.
    The iPad pro a cep 4096x4096 max setting in artrage . I have heard I can use the script recording to export the finished painting to a desktop version of artrage, to increase size of canvas.

But my confusion comes here. I have not gotten the slightest idea what setting to put in the iPad version when I paint, if I'd like to print it big ,like poster size or even bigger, at the end?

When I set it to 4096x4096 the strokes of the brushes are so tiny and poor that it is not fun to paint that way.

My question is if I can set it to smaller size than 4096x4096 , like the default one ( something around 1000x700) and with ticking the script recording on, to be able to increase its size later on in the desktop version, without compromising the quality?

Or must I set it to 4096x4096 if bigger painting is what I'm looking for?

Thank you so much in advance for any input

That is the limitation of having a big canvas on a tablet. Yes, just make it a smaller canvas, and record your painting, then open it up in the desktop version and resize it. The brushstrokes will grow as well.

Thank you so much for the reply. Can you please let me know which numbers should I write there instead of 4096x4096? Some say 3000x2000 some say 1000x1500 and some other numbers. How can I know which numbers?

If you look at canvas sizes when you choose a new painting, try to stay within those dimensions. The larger will make your brushstrokes smaller, and the smaller one makes it much more fun. Just set it to record, paint, save as .ptg, and transfer it onto your desktop, set up to replay and change your canvas size.

Pretty much what copespeak said. I would recommend between 1000-2000 for a good balance between brush size and speed (usability) and the amount of detail you can add. You do not have to worry about printable size because of the scripts, so you do have a lot more flexibility than normal.

Note: While scripts work great 99% of the time, you will start to see some differences if you make a very large size jump (e.g. from 500 pixels to 5000 pixels) and you like to use the very thick texture tools (e.g. oils, paint tube). This is because the depth (/height) off the canvas is limited, so they will get relatively less textured as the size increases. This will only matter if your work depends heavily on thick paint texture, but the larger your original image, the less drastic the change will be.

But you'll be able to run test scripts, and just replay them at different sizes easily, so you will be able to figure out the sweet spot for your style.