Thread: Ruler issue

Ruler issue

Hello!
    While getting used to ArtRage 5 I encountered this issue where the ruler's scale in mm doesn't equal to an actual real ruler if I place it on the screen - AR's ruler has a smaller size of a "1 cm", which is like 0.7cm of a real ruler. And it doesn't change whether I zoom in/out or change canvas size... Could someone please shine a light on this?

Kind regards!

Hello 131 and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    The rulers in AR are only accurate internally as it were for the canvas you are working on based on the size it would be if printed.
    This “print” size is determined by the canvas Hight x Width x PPI which you set when setting up a new canvas.
    On a related note, if you want to see your canvas on screen at print size have a look at this thread about how to do in ArtRage: https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...054#post495054
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Still not quite getting... I want so that at, say, 100% zoom the AR's ruler would show 10 cm same as the real ruler's 10 cm.

So, I chose the canvas size of A4 landscape, chose like 320ppi, at 32% zoom, the canvas does match the real A4 sheet, but AR's ruler is still wrongly showing 1cm which is actually 0.8cm.

Sorry for the delay replying, Life…
    Are you using your screen at it’s native resolution? Not doing so can effect the accuracy of viewing things 1:1 as noted in that other thread.
    Pleas forgive this next question but as I can't see your screen are you sure you have set the relevant edge of AR's ruler to show mm or cm and not it's default of pixels?

As in that other thread, for me with my laptop screen, 1:1 viewing in AR with a 300ppi canvas needs a zoom level of 43%. And at 43% if I put a real ruler up to the screen, 1cm on AR’s ruler dose match 1cm on the real world ruler.
    I would note here though, that if I zoom in or out in AR5, that the ruler dose not always immediately update? I sort of have to nudge it on the canvas after zooming to wake it up. This tardiness in updating is perhaps a new bug I think.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Sorry for the delay replying, Life…
    Are you using your screen at it’s native resolution? Not doing so can effect the accuracy of viewing things 1:1 as noted in that other thread.
    *nods* My display is set to about 1.5x, and the ruler cm is 1.5x larger. I wouldn't worry too much about it, the size just telling you what size it would be if printed out using the current settings, and gives you a way to consistently measure different parts of your image. The ruler uses various factors, as markw says - for example, if you change the DPI, you will see the CM size adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by 1J1 View Post
    And it doesn't change whether I zoom in/out or change canvas size... Could someone please shine a light on this?

Kind regards!
    Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    I would note here though, that if I zoom in or out in AR5, that the ruler dose not always immediately update? I sort of have to nudge it on the canvas after zooming to wake it up. This tardiness in updating is perhaps a new bug I think.
    Hmm, that's not happening here. Does it happen on a blank canvas? (might be a memory thing). If you drop us the details of your set up and what you are seeing, we might be able to fix it, as it sounds like a bug.

E.g. :

Tested on a blank canvas vs a painting with a lot of data?
    Your exact AR5 version
    What OS you are using

Hi Hannah,
    Will do, though it will most likely be Thursday before I can send you something.
    I doubt it was a memory thing, at the time my system was showing 9GB as free. But will poke and prod a bit more and see what happens
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram