Thread: exporting 16 bit height/depth , layers height based blending like cavity masking ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

exporting 16 bit height/depth , layers height based blending like cavity masking ?

Is it possible? I recall the soft could do 8 bit depth export but it's pretty useless unfortunately. 8 bit height/depth makes ugly rendering artifacts in any 3d rendering, Zbrush, texture soft etc.

Also I wonder if it's possible to simulate so called "dry brush" technique when you could paint only on heights, prominent bumps or otherwise in cavities? Could layers use a bit of depth Z combine technique? I mean not just Max (lighten) or Min height blending but also providing an accurate masking for a layer diffuse color based on resulting height combine?

I could extract 32 bit height/depth from Corel Painter files (with an obscure ancient Blender addon someone did) for example but the later thing ( true depth based masking) is impossible in Painter. While the math would be actually as simple as 2x2. Could be possible in Photoshop if its brushes would have a depth channel like seemingly Artrage ones.

I would love to try Art rage for creating complex hand painted surfaces in video games/VFX where we need proper height /depth + glossiness + metalness.

I'm afraid ArtRage does not offer 16 bit export. It may be added in the future, but it will require some fairly significant rewrites to the program.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkk View Post

Also I wonder if it's possible to simulate so called "dry brush" technique when you could paint only on heights, prominent bumps or otherwise in cavities?
    The closest you can get to this is:

Open layers > menu > Export Layer to Channels

This will give you a bump map of the depths and heights of your paint. Reimport this as a canvas texture (View > Canvas Settings > arrow next to the Grain preview > Load from Disk) and the bump map will be converted into a textured canvas. Use a large brush for best effect and invert the image or adjust settings to get different texture results.

The other files you will end up with when exporting to channels are colour and metallic (glossy) data, so you may be able to use that by reimporting them as paint layers, or importing them to other programs.

(It sounds like you may have found this feature before, so it may not help, but it is better to mention it than not )