Thread: High CPU usage after hibernate/resume with Windows 10

High CPU usage after hibernate/resume with Windows 10

Windows 10, Thinkpad X61 tablet, 8G ram. Artrage 5.06

With an Artrage file open, the machine was hibernated/resumed at least twice. After the last resume, the machine was minimally responsive. I used CTL-ALT-DEL to open the task manager. Artrage was not present in the task list. No application in the task list showed more than low-to-moderate CPU usage. I did not total the usage numbers. There was no process that should obviously killed.

The remedy was to reboot the machine. In fairness to Artrage, the problem of excessive CPU usage has been reported with many applications. Adobe CC is frequently associated. The machine does not have CC installed. There are reports that associate this with the Microsoft process "runtimebroker", which has something to do with store apps. The machine has no store apps other than the default that are part of W10 install.

I can live with it. But starting Artrage and loading a file can be inconvenient on the go, so it would be good if hibernation were not impacted in this way.

EDIT: The original post was incorrect. Please read again.

W10, Thinkpad X61 tablet, 8G ram. Artrage 5.06

With an Artrage file open, the machine was hibernated/resumed at least twice. After the last resume, I closed Artrage, which appeared to exit normally. The machine was then noticed to be minimally responsive. I used CTL-ALT-DEL to open the task manager. CPU usage fluctuated between 75 and 99%. Artrage was not present in the task list. No application in the task list showed more than low-to-moderate CPU usage. I did not total the usage numbers. There was no process that should obviously killed.

The remedy was to reboot the machine. In fairness to Artrage, the problem of excessive CPU usage has been reported with many applications. Adobe CC is frequently associated. The machine does not have CC installed. There are reports that associate this with the Microsoft process "runtimebroker", which has something to do with store apps. The machine has no store apps other than the default that are part of W10 install.

I can live with it. But starting Artrage and loading a file can be inconvenient on the go, so it would be good if hibernation were not impacted in this way.

Is this something that has just started with the 5.0.6 update?

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    Is this something that has just started with the 5.0.6 update?
    I can't say, because I have never done it before, with Windows 10. I have an innate suspicion of W10. One additional note: Immediately upon closing Artrage, or just after, I attempted to access the W10 update menu.

Previously, I had this problem on this machine/W10 with CC, which I uninstalled, and also with a grandfathered-from-W7 upgrade of the Lenovo fingerprint software. Until this event with Artrage, there were no further occurrences, only the annoying propensity of W10 to do maintenance in background when it thinks the machine is idle.

Your W10 problems must be very frustrating. You have to deal not only with your own code, but with possible bugs in the .NET environment on W10 as well.

With W8.1 and a 6 core Xeon workstation, there is absolutely no problem doing this. I do it routinely.

Yeah, it's a bit hard to say if this is anything to do with ArtRage, but we'll look into it!

We don't make us of .NET, store app APIs, or any of the other usual culprits for this kind of thing so I'm guessing it's something entirely external to the app that is being triggered when it shuts down. In this case, because the ArtRage process isn't running the app isn't doing anything with our code so it's likely that the problem is being caused at a system service level, possibly by temp files being cleaned up.

I'd suggest running a scan for viruses and malware (this was suggested in response to a similar general issue on an external board, not related to ArtRage specifically) or consider disabling the runtimebroker if it looks like that is causing the issue. Unfortunately it's not something we can interact with ourselves.

It's a well known problem with Adobe CC, legitimate apps, and strongly associated with W10. While viruses are a common cause of high CPU usage, web searches show no solutions to this problem related to virus infections. Nor can I document it well enough to support a cause. I posted only as a "heads up", in case you accumulate enough instances to make it worth a look.