Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clipping Masks and Layer Masking, please

Clipping Masks and Layer Masking, please

I am working as a freelancing illustrator and have been doing so for a long time. I love to work using ArtRage. Every illustration I make requires a lot of layers, lot of layer folders and layer masking. I use layer masking and especially Clipping Mask a lot. Without using these layer tools it hard to work, or even impossible for me to get the job done.

Photoshop got them, it is the psd standard these days, Affinity got them, Krita got them, both layer masking and clipping masks. If I set up layer masks and clipping masks in some other program and then import the psd file to ArtRage, all masking is destroyed. Therefore I don’t use ArtRage much for my professional work. Sadly.

Is there any chance that ArtRage will add masking and clipping masks? Please!?

I cant do without them.

Henry.. If you use a lot of layers "masking" is pretty easy in Artrage. It's not formal masking like in PS.. but it's a decent workaround. Simply "select layer contents" (Crtl+Alt+A) in the layer you want to mask. Go to work on your new layer with the selection active. Instant mask (although temporary)

Thx,

Quote Originally Posted by BushcraftOnFire View Post
    Henry.. If you use a lot of layers "masking" is pretty easy in Artrage. It's not formal masking like in PS.. but it's a decent workaround. Simply "select layer contents" (Crtl+Alt+A) in the layer you want to mask. Go to work on your new layer with the selection active. Instant mask (although temporary)
    Thank you for your advise, I know this about making selections, but it is not the same as clipping masks. As I use it in Affinity every day as an illustrator I can compare what is the best workflow. My clipping masks is automatically layered and all clipping masks remains intact even after closing the document. No repeating selection is needed, the clipping mask remains once it is done done.

I am not using ArtRage for more complicated illustration because the workflow is too slow and complicated and can not compare to Affinity, and Photoshop, all because the lack of layer masking or clipping masks.

Quote Originally Posted by BushcraftOnFire View Post
    Converting a layer to a stencil would be a more permanent solution, though it doesn't solve the 'importing files with masks from elsewhere' issue.

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    Converting a layer to a stencil would be a more permanent solution, though it doesn't solve the 'importing files with masks from elsewhere' issue.
    Thank you for your feedback, nice to be noticed by an ArtRage official
    Yes, not having layer masking or clipping masking, that is an issue with pictures like this (that is in a book about religion, class grades 4-6). I made the background in ArtRage. The wall with the wallpaper pattern, the floor and windows. The rest, the middle part with the priest and the table, wit a lot of details, and also the foreground with the different characters, were all done using clipping masks to make things easy on illustrating details. I hope for the future ArtRage will come up with Layers Masking or even Clipping Masks.

Name:  readers.jpg
Views: 11073
Size:  57.7 KB

In practical terms, aside from the compatibility issues, what does a stencil not do for you right now? That might help us figure out if we can change something.

Stencils are GREAT, I use them a lot, mostly as rulers and guides, not much for masking. These are the advantages of Clipping Masks in the programs I use.

1.The Clipping Mask is invisible, not like the Stencil that covers up and clutters the picture.
    2. They Clipping Mask follow the layer object (if it is moved around) inside the image.
    3. The layer object with a Clipping Mask can be transformed and distorted, the clipping mask changes and the layers in the clipping remains in the masking.
    4. My most use of the Clipping Mask is in my workflow like this: First my line art, next flat fill by (mostly) using the paint bucket each colour on separate layer under the line art, then making a clipping mask for each flat colour, texturing, shading, tinting and so on top of each flat colour. Just like in the picture below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	remsa av bilder.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	94742
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 03-05-2018 at 01:22 AM.

Thank you, that's very clear. I can't make any promises, but it's gone into our Suggestions.

I'd just like to add my vote up for these types of masking features. Yes, there's almost always a workaround for things and I do love the rulers, stencils and selection options we currently have access too. However, having these types of masks would greatly reduce workflow tasks, by eliminating the needs to hide/show the stencils repeatedly or having to keep separate layers for the sole purpose of having to reselect an area. I'm happy to hear that it's been put on the consideration list.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Clipping Masks and Layer Mask features in ArtRage would completely remove my use of other software packages. I hope this goes very high on the priority list for changes to come.