Thread: i wonder how...

i wonder how...

How can we produce the same +- effect in artrage like in this vid ? (if it even is possible!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzfOOOCIkSA&t=141s

the only thing that i have been able to come close is with the oil brush but not the palette knife;(
    Last edited by Rondo; 02-23-2018 at 05:30 AM.

It's not quite possible in one step, but you can get something similar by combining both the flat palette knife and the soft palette knife.

The flat palette knife will flatten and blend quickly, but only scrapes paint, it doesn't push it around smoothly. The soft palette knife will let you blend and smooth the paint afterwards so that it looks wet and thick, but uses more memory so it is best used to tidy up afterwards.

Name:  thick oil palette knife blend impasto.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  40.5 KB

note: Kinda overdid the pressure on the soft palette knife, it's easy to adjust the effects though. Here is a version with 0% smudge and low pressure.

Name:  oil blend soft palette knife.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  10.8 KB

Also you might want to add a little metallic to it to give it a little shine or gloss look to it.

Are you using a stylus?

If yes try this:

Set up a new flat knife,

50% pressure
    50% loading
    autoclean on
    lock rotation on
    rotation (your preference)

Lower your Canvas roughness to a low level, say 10% (for now)

Important to set the Stylus Properties for your knife so that under "Pen Pressure" the setting "Pressure" is removed. For added interest in your strokes add setting "Size" there instead.

I suggest you play around with the strokes to get a feel for how to orient and press in order to get the kind of strokes you want. I find these settings (including the low roughness of the canvas) give interesting textures and paint blending effects.

Now after you paint your piece you can do this to increase the paint texture:

Duplicate your layer
    On the top layer set "Bump Blend Mode" to "Add"
    you can also do this a second time if you wish (for a total of 3 layers, bump blend mode set all adding together)

you will notice there is an odd interaction between the paint and texture of your canvas. I.e. you'll see bumpy texture where it used to be smooth. This is because the paint you laid down originally was thinner and thicker in various places i.e. it filled in the canvas texture on the basis of the original roughness. Now that the paint has been doubled or tripled, these variations no longer match the canvas roughness. To compensate for this you should up your canvas roughness according to how many layers you have. E.g. if you painted using 10% roughness, and you have two layers total then up it to 20%. Or if you painted with 10% roughness, and you ended up with 3 layers total, up the roughness to 30%. This should restore the smooth look to the flat areas of paint.

I have not tried to replicate what is in the video you linked to but I think with enough playing around you should be able to get something similar...

Here is an example of results from the above
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TexturedKnife.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	94708

Good luck!
    Last edited by DarkOwnt; 02-24-2018 at 06:05 AM.

thx folks worth trying.....

Aw heck I thought I'd give it a go. This uses the method of above, with 2 layers. I suspect things would get even better if I cranked down the loading a bit (<50)so during each stroke it varies from laying paint down to scraping a little.

Cheers!

Name:  TexturedKnife2.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  98.8 KB

whawthats indeed quiet close !

Nice job DarkOwnt!

This is my version.. which I did just testing some theories.. so it's by no means a finished work. The BG was done on 2 layers.. and the pear was done on 2 different layers.

On each set I made the top layer my main color layer.. put in with tube and the "Thick oil" Brush.. and spread with Knife Hard Wet Blender with the pressure at about 25% (Just to get rid of some edges. I then made a bottom layer with the tube tool.. blended with the Hard Knife with 50% pressure and the loading at about 5% with a Dark (almost black) green.

The blend mode was normal on the top layer.. the opacity was about 50-60% and the Bump mode was set to add. Being this was quick.. there are probably TOO many strokes.. but it was a test At least it's something to start with!

There IS another way of course.. you can always add an Impasto (Painting) "texture" layer above everything and set the blend mode to overlay. This would give you the texture but not the "painting"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Impasto.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	94725

Nice one BrushcraftOnFire!

Hey Rondo, let us know how your endeavors work out!

Name:  pearimpasto.png
Views: 104
Size:  338.6 KB
    can not get it better then this ;(