Thread: ArtRage 4.0.1 acting up

ArtRage 4.0.1 acting up

I have had this problem before and usually re-installing a driver solves it but this time they say I have the latest driver and my ArtRage still is jumping around, slipping and sliding all over the place to the point that I cannot paint. This is with the pen and tablet so could it be that? I believe I have updated drivers for the pen/tablet, too. The screen won't stay still and zooms in and out and isn't usable like that. Has anybody got any suggestion on this? Ever had this happen?
    Thanks

The first thing you should do is update! 4.0.1 is ancient, and even if you are on Windows XP, you can still download version 4.0.6 from members.artrage.com

After you've done that...

- is your tablet a touch tablet? If touch is active accidentally you may see that issue.

- Press & hold for right click has caused a problem like this in the past for Windows users.

1)Go to your Control Panel > Pen and Touch > Change touch input settings
    2) Disable or enable ‘press and hold’ (whichever it currently is, change it)

Find more settings that might be causing problems here: https://www.artrage.com/faqs/tablet-...es-on-windows/

- macOS users are seeing ongoing random issues with 'sticky' keys (shortcuts like Shift, which can cause zooming) remaining active. This is a driver issue that we cannot fix ourselves.

If you are still having problems, we will need more information. What operating system are you using, and what tablet model & driver version?

Well..... today I tried everything I could think of and all the things you suggested. I re-installed it, re-installed the driver, but some things I can't do because I get an error message. (see attached) After re-booting, I was able to paint a good bit tonight with no problems so maybe I did something helpful. I am using Windows 7 and don't see any reason to update ArtRage right now. After all, it's the pen and tablet that is the problem, I believe. Maybe I should think about getting another pen and tablet. Maybe I should start saving right now! Break the piggy bank! I will see how long this keeps going and maybe contact Wacom if it starts again. Since I can't get into the Wacom Preferences because of the error message, that is one thing I can't try and fix. Yes, I do have a touch tablet although I don't use that feature. Thank you for all your help and suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by pslane View Post
    I am using Windows 7 and don't see any reason to update ArtRage right now. After all, it's the pen and tablet that is the problem, I believe.
    While it definitely sounds like a separate driver issue, there have been 16 updates to ArtRage 4 since your version came out five years ago, that's a lot of bug fixes and OS and Wacom changes. It means we might end up trying to solve a problem that has already been fixed.

I strongly, strongly recommend getting version 4.5.10 from the member area (you just need to register your serial number). Aside from the many fixes, 4.5 included some big feature updates including 64 bit support (speed boost), grids, and a huge list of tweaks.

You can browse through the updates here:
    https://www.artrage.com/faqs/artrage-4-update-history/

For the Wacom tablet, it looks like the computer isn't detecting the tablet properly. Sometimes just unplugging the tablet, then starting up with it plugged in will do the trick. If it is definitely detected (you can move the cursor around with the stylus), just working oddly, then it's a drivers problem. New hardware won't fix that, as it's a software issue.

If the driver preferences/profile are corrupted, you need to restart the computer after uninstalling the driver or the old preferences may carry over to the new install.

Also try going to run > services.msc and look for the 'Wacom Tablet Service' in the list. Sometimes it doesn't start properly, which means that the driver just isn't running, so restarting it might get things working again.

I took your advice and started my computer up with the tablet plugged in. Now it is recognizing the tablet. yea! I went in and changed the touch setting for that. But in the members area, I see now way to update to anything lower than ArtRage 5.
    Thanks

Awesome! Sometimes it's a really simple thing.

When you log into the member area, you should see a 'download' button next to the upgrade to ArtRage 5 button. Use this, and you can download the latest version of ArtRage 4 for your operating system.