Thread: oil brush and imported picture

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

oil brush and imported picture

hello!!! when I use the painting knife, on an imported picture, the knife pick up the color of the background image... is it a way to get the same thing with the oil brush? I mean, to use as a color chart the underlying picture, and , when flowing a brush on it, the color change in the same way that the underlying colors???

Yes, but you might be confusing two different things here.

1) If you import an image as a layer of paint then all tools will mix and blend that paint. If you use an Oil Brush it will add new paint as well in your currently selected colour, so if you just want to mix it up with a brush without adding new colour, go to the Settings and set Loading to 0%.

2) If you add a tracing image then your brush strokes will automatically pick colours from the tracing image as you work (unless you turn this off), but your actual canvas will not have any paint on it until you add it. The tracing image is just a guide, and not part of the actual painting.

Because you are using the palette knife, which (normally) does not add new paint, it sounds like you are using the first option. If you would like to both mix up existing imported paint and automatically pick colours then import your colour chart as both a layer and a tracing image.

thank you, Hannahrage, but effectively I'm confused! I import a picture in a layer, then, in parameters , set the loading of the oil brush to 0 per cent, and flow the brush on the picture but nothing happens!... If I get more loading than 0 %, it's the color of the color chart, or ,one picked up, wich is used... What I'm expecting is that the picture imported act as a painter's pallet, without using the pipette... is this set up possible? thank you for help!!!

You should add it as a tracing image instead. If you do not know how to do that, tell me what version of ArtRage you are using.

Before using the oil brush at 0 loading try this:

Import the picture in a layer.

Add a layer on TOP. change the top layer blending mode to MULTIPLY. In that top layer, fill the layer with thick WHITE paint, using whatever brushes etc.

Merge layers.

Since the top layer was wet paint, the result is think wet paint with the colors of your imported layer.

you can now play with the 0 loaded oil brushes pushing paint around.