Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From One End of Life to the Other - Portraits Coming Through

From One End of Life to the Other - Portraits Coming Through

I'm polishing up my portrait skills in the hope of getting some commissions. Here are some: one of my step daughter's nine month old son, and the other of a dear older lady friend on her ninetieth birthday. Both were difficult. The child was so smooth and perfect, and every line needed to be true to my style, which is a bit rough, but not detract from that perfection. My lovely friend was deeply lined, and I needed to 'mute' enough of those lines so they didn't overpower her inner beauty. I hope I succeeded.

Name:  ailsa small.JPG
Views: 666
Size:  56.1 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	theo1.JPG 
Views:	236 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	94644

Name:  theo2.JPG
Views: 949
Size:  54.3 KB
    Last edited by copespeak; 02-16-2018 at 10:45 AM.

Yes ROBBIE all look good as is norm of your work can you do the same in trad ?? as digital painting is still at a low ebb ok but still show more ok CIAO SLAINTE

I don't know about trad Eighty, as I haven't tried, but have been on the cusp of doing so for years. I used to do them pretty successfully in charcoal years ago.

I'm feeling a bit stubborn, and trying to force people to embrace digital locally, as that's what I really love doing. It's so clean and convenient, and someone's got to blaze a trail!

Good paintings congratulations
    Visit my website here

wow Robyn your talent never ceases to amaze me!.. these are really exceptional, I look at all types of art and have seen some very good portraits, ones that reveal the personality of the subject but still are done with creativity
    and a unique style, yours is right up there.. both of these.... very very nice work!.. hope they generate some commissions for you!.

Looks great!!! . I think your muting of the lines was very successful in the portrait of your older friend. They still read, but do not overpower the face. Wonderful achievement.

Thank you so much everyone, Mr Akey and I had an out of forum chat about the background, etc, on Ailsa, so here is the new and improved version. I was lazy about the background and it certainly didn't do her justice. What do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ailsa2.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	94663

And today's offering is .......

Lots of careful work went into getting this one right. A mere shadow in the wrong place and the whole thing goes skewiff!

Name:  sebastian sm last.JPG
Views: 686
Size:  60.6 KB

Name:  sebastian clsup.JPG
Views: 706
Size:  34.2 KB

very nice work, and yes the new background with the slight halo effect is more traditional for portraits for good reasons, a nice improvement. it helps focus attention on her face. The childs face is very good, there is a slight wobble in his cheek to the left of his mouth and seems a little off to my eye.. as I can't draw worth beans you should ask D Akey for his take.

Just a rough edge? Kids' faces have lots of plump sections. I'll fiddle some more.