Thread: Full Size Paper grain not working

Full Size Paper grain not working

I am attempting to use a bump map of an ArtRage layer as paper grain but the tools/paint does not interact properly with it.

Step 1:
    Painted a highly textured painted strokes layer using 100% loading and the oil brush.

Step 2:
    Exported Layer to channels

Step 3:
    Opened a new painting

Step 4:
    Loaded as the canvas grain the exported layer's "*_bm.tif" file.

Step 5:
    Ensure canvas lighting is on, grain size is 100%, roughness is 100%

The paper's texture appears correct.

Step 6:
    Paint with an oil brush known to exhibit texture effects

The oil brush does not correctly interact with the texture: there is NO texture interaction.

I am using ArtRage 5, on a windows 7 icore 7 machine, 2560x1440 monitor

Could you email us at [email protected] with a sample painting file which has that canvas grain and shows the problem? We can have a look at the grain and see what is happening.

I suspect that there's not enough variance in grey value of the image being used for the grain for it to show canvas effects, but if we have a look at the file we'll be able to advise further.

Hello:

It has nothing to do with the content, amounts of grayscale colors, whites and blacks etc.

I took a crop (500 x 500 pixels) of the bump map (the exported "bm" channel) used it as a grain and the texture interaction worked perfectly.

I also resized the bump map (to 500 x 500) and used it as a grain and the texture interaction worked perfectly.

When I use the original file (at full 2560x1440) it simply does not work at all.

There seems to be a resolution limit beyond which the canvas grain simply does not work. So now, I'll turn over the investigation to you folks if you don't mind.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately I'm unable to reproduce the problem in ArtRage 5.0.5 using the dimensions you specified. We'll be happy to look at it further, but we'll need to get a copy of a painting file which exhibits the problem.

This bug is quite odd. It does not always occur but sometimes it does. I will email the painting file which exhibits the problem.

I don't expect you guys figured out how to fix the problem or even what's causing it, but can you confirm if you have been able to replicate the problem with the painting file I emailed you? very curious!

We have been able to get the same behaviour with the files you sent and are looking into it further, thanks very much for that!