Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The KISS 4K Webcomic

Gallery
    View images

The KISS 4K Webcomic

Hello all --

As some of you know, I've been busy lately working on this webcomic for KISS, which has been great fun and crazy all at the same time.

Well, it's all finally approved by Gene and Paul, and ready to go. It'll be up tomorrow (April 30) at this URL:

http://www.drunkduck.com/kiss_4k_the_webcomic

Take a look and let me know what you think! I'm still having a hard time believing it's all happening, to tell you the truth. It's crazy.

I miss you guys...this thing is taking up all my free time. Hopefully, I'll be able to work ahead far enough to where I can come back to the AR forums and dole out my usual "I dig it" gallery thread replies. :wink: :lol:

Gallery
    View images
    Hate to ask something so obvious...

Did you use ArtRage?

Gallery
    View images
    Unfortunately, no. It's pencilled and inked by hand (#2 sable hair brush and india ink on bristol) then scanned into Photoshop, where it's colored and lettered and all that.

I can't use AR for professional stuff because the art usually has to be between 300 and 600 dpi, and AR only does 72.

Fortunately, the AR boys are gonna change that in a future release.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Black

I can't use AR for professional stuff because the art usually has to be between 300 and 600 dpi, and AR only does 72.

Artrage certainly can do high resolution work. I only work at 300 dpi/ppi. "Resolution" and "dpi or "ppi" are entirely arbitrary terms. They're just a sort of confusing way that printers in the physical world have of specifying how large they want your image in terms of pixels.

A 8.5 x 11 image at 300 dpi is exactly the same thing as a 35 X 45 image at 72 dpi. Theyre both a 2550p x 3300p image. Just use photoshop (or a calculator) to figure out what you need the pixel dimensions to be for the specified size and and resolution, then enter those values in the AR document size.

Now...whether or not AR performs well enough for comfort at those higher resolutions, as opposed to some other programs, is a different story altogether. While zippy at default sizes, I take a much bigger performance hit in AR than I would in say, Painter, at the same size (not that Painter necessarily performs better than AR, but the decrease in performance at the larger image size is more apparent in AR). While its not crippling, it could stand some optimization for working at print quality resolutions, if such a thing is possible outside of better hardware.

Gallery
    View images
    I don't mean to bump such an old thread, but I had to share the news:

As of Monday, Platinum Studios and Kiss turned the whole comic story over to me. I'll be telling the print comic's story via the webcomic starting with Issue 7, which just started yesterday (March 3rd).

This is crazy exciting news for me, and I thought I'd share.

Of course, this means I won't have much time to hang out here, although I'll try not to be a total stranger.

Also: If anyone's going to the Wizard World comic convention in L.A. from the 14th to the 16 of March, let me know! I'll be there all 3 days, signing stuff, schmoozing, and spending waaaay too much money on other people's comic books.

Gallery
    View images
    Woah! That IS exciting!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!

May this lead to all your dreams coming true.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks! That's certainly a lot of my dreams coming true right there, and will hopefully lead to the rest of them at some point this year. :wink:

Gallery
    View images
    Congrats Adam.
    Looks like you have done a lot of work. The comics are really well
    drawn and inked. Looks great.

Gallery
    View images
    very nice work. In the wayback machine I colored the Kisstory 32 page comic insert in the mid is 90's. keep up the good work

Gallery
    View images
    Did you really? That's awesome!

And are you really living in Tempe? I'm only about 2.5 hours south of you!