Thread: ArtRage and Animation

ArtRage and Animation

I have been animating (as an amateur) now and then for many years. I started out using Deluxe Paint and TVpaint (both bitmaps raster format) on the Amiga platform many years ago. When I started using Windows PC the Macromedia Flash (vector) software was my main animating software. There has also been some stop motion and other programs along the way, to try out just by curiosity, to find out how to use some different techniques.
    Hand drawn, cut-out and tweening, warping, and all other stuff are soo amazing! I tred to learn and understand, that way I got more and more fascinated by the art of animation.

Finally, many years ago, I was hooked on Moho / Anime Studio. It is such a great program! But, and that is the big problem for me, I can't stand vectors. This program is vector. Hand drawn 2D is what I like. It is beautiful, really beautiful...if it is well done. Moho can import and use bitmaps, they can be animated inside Moho. I rather use all raster based animation program all the way. I have found one - for free.

I took one of my grandchildren to the cinema the other day. The film, Gordon and Paddy, was catching my heart and eyes. It was one hour hand made animated art. I loved it although I am grandad and the film was age "younger kids". I am a grown up child I guess.

I got back to my animation software after the Gordon and Paddy film. I am trying to learn the newly discovered software. It is free, open source. It is Open Toons! A bit hard to master, l still don't know 90% of all the functions, and I am a bit old, slow learner, I guess. OpenToonz is highly professional. It is free, no cost. Beautiful! I love that. Both bitmap and vectors. One can use every way of animating, hand drawn, cut-out, tweening etc in this complicated, but very capable program.

By using DaVinci Resolve (free) one can make beautiful professional video assembling, titling, sound and speech rendering of the animation without any cost.

ArtRage can be used for all sorts of background paintings and also characters. Characters can be animated inside OpenToonz. I will give this programs a good try. I know ArtRage since many years, the other two for just two weeks, but I am willing to learn.

Here are som pictures from a animation tryout I am working on. Animation is such fun!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cosmo.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	245.3 KB 
ID:	94524
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 01-13-2018 at 10:36 PM.
    My Art Blog : Pennstreck
    My Instagram: Instagram

Links:
    OpenToonZ: https://opentoonz.github.io/e/index.html
    DaVinci Resolve: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...avinciresolve/

Name:	Bkg720.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	94554

A backgrond image for my Cosmo animation. Original HD pixel size 1920 x 1080
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 01-19-2018 at 06:17 AM.

As long as you're having fun, why not. You've always been one to try out all kinds of free software and so this is in the same vein. Great.

You mention that the program is difficult, and animation is a heck of a lot of work. Your encouraging young, energetic people is great. It's wonderful to share enthusiasm.

I think of what I heard when I took up the guitar late in life about picking a guitar to buy. The sage advice was to get a guitar that was fairly easy to play and that way the student (me included) would be more inclined to play it and less likely to be daunted. There are programs that I have not learned because when I sat down with them I couldn't have fun with them, or at least get success in short bursts like with doing a painting.

Sure, when the programs are free it's an opening to bigger things later. But if it's a pain to use, it's worth finding a way to save up to buy a program that's easier and has a large user base where people who are more accomplished can help each other. I would think also that the first step might be learning to make art.

Some of these higher priced programs have entry level trials to see whether the person likes to do animation at all using programs that are tried and true and easier. But who knows, maybe the free software will take off like Blender did for 3D. Exciting to get in on the ground floor if it's something to be enjoyed.

It's great for you to share the info for those with youth and vigor on their side. Thanks Henry!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

D Akey,
    I am not young, I am 69, but still willing to learn and work my way through a big complicated programs like OpenToonZ and Resolve. There are pdf manuals, forums and even books about about them. I just sit down and read and practise, it's the only way to go for me. Doing it over and over until I get the grips of it.

Today I learned how to import the layers from ArtRage to OT. It was easy once I found out where to look for the internal browser in OT. I even learned to import an animated image sequence in the right order..! That makes things so much easy, since I can almost finish all animated clips outside OT (I find other software so much easy to use to paint and draw in) and use OT to add correct timing and sounds and so on. That is at least what I plan to do.

Next thing (tomorrow?) is to learn how to makes things move. Parallax scrolling and camera moves will be first to study and understand.

Here are the layers in Artrage:

Name:  snip_20180113162803.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  57.3 KB

Here is the file with all layers inside OpenToonZ in the Timeline at the bottom left.

Name:  snip_20180113164427.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  70.5 KB

In OT there is a 3D space to arrange the layers to give depth and parallax movment to them. After importing the layers (it is possible to import a layered psd file) the top right icon is used to open the 3D view. The top left icon is the camera movement tool to move in all three axis, x, y or z. Easy done! After defining the move by tweening the layers, the animation is automatilcly done.

Name:	3Ddepth.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	433.6 KB 
ID:	94553
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 01-19-2018 at 06:13 AM.

Rough Animator is a small and low price sketch and animate program for all platforms. I use it a lot both on Windows and Android for animatics and trying out my ideas. HighLy recommended! Here are the paintings I made in ArtRage imported as separate layers in Rough animator:

Name:	snipraket.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	94536

Krita is a free and Open Source program with great animation tools. Using Krita for 2D hand drawn character animation is just as good as any other animation software. Try it! It is free!

Name:	krita.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	94537

This snip shows where to import your images that are painted outside OT. Just right click in the Channel (Ch1, Ch2, Ch3.....) to load a new "Level" of pictures into a cel. A level can contain anything from a blank image to 1, two, three, or any other number of images. So if you want to import one singel background image you can do that bu right click and import the single background file. However if you want to import a sequence of images you must have numbered the sequence in the right way. Starting with the file name and followed by 0001, 0002, 0003, and so on. Than all images will load into that level (into to separate cels in the level) in the right order. Easy!

Now, this completes my information on my struggles in learning OT, other tools for animation and I am swill go on searching for many more ways to improve myself as an amateur enthusiast animator.

The Internet is full of tutorials and demos on how to use Open Toonz, especially if you look for it in YouTube. There is a forum in G+ and also i Tumblr. If you are interested in OT, have a look around the Internet and also find the complete manual in English.

Name:	snip_20180115134432.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	94541

Opentoonz and Artrage

Hi Henry

I have Opentoonz now for one day and it is not an easy app.
    How do i import a artrage file into opentoonz.
    I can 't find it how to.
    Can i import also layers in opentoonz ?
    Maybe you can help me
    Thanks in advance and have fun with Opentoonz and ARTRAGE.

Denis

Sorry for my English

A Photoshop file will do the trick

Quote Originally Posted by dE.niz View Post
    Hi Henry

I have Opentoonz now for one day and it is not an easy app.
    How do i import a artrage file into opentoonz.
    I can 't find it how to.
    Can i import also layers in opentoonz ?
    Maybe you can help me
    Thanks in advance and have fun with Opentoonz and ARTRAGE.

Denis

Sorry for my English
    If you save the ArtRage artwork as a layered Photoshop file it is easy to import all the layers as individuals in OpenToonz. In the Files menu you find "Load Level" and that means you can import a psd-file (or any other supported file format) into OpenToonz. There is an option to import the file as a "flat file" without any layers, and another to import all layers separate. If you have numbered separate files in a sequence, you can even import an animation from an exeternal animator. Have a look at YouTube and you will find good instructions there to find out how to do it. It is easy..☺ The picture below shows a small animation, a dog with a wagging tail, to be animated. By exporting every single layer (Ctrl+Shift+E) as an png file, it is easy to import the background as one level, the dog as another, and the tails as one. The tails must be numbered the way I have done to be loaded as a sequence. I hope this explanation helps.

P.S. There is an edition of OpenToonz called Morevna. That is the one I use.

Name:	snip_20180212190501.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	94648
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 02-13-2018 at 07:12 AM.

Hi Henry

Thank you.
    I will try it
    have fun with artrage and opentoonz

In the online ArtRage manual there is a section on how to use ArtRage in animation. There is also a link to a forum discussion how to make a script how to export all layers at once. I have done that without any problems. If I make background paintings and everything else for a scene in ArtRage, it is easy to open the psd file, exported from ArtRage, in Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer or Photoshop and use the built in exporter functions. They help you to scale images and resample them from high resolution to animation friendly resolution with no problems. Those programs are real time savers!