Thread: Template for creating a custom stencil?

Template for creating a custom stencil?

Hiya,

So i want to create a stencil. But the stencil i want to create is quite intricate. To be precise, its the silhouette of the side profile of a face, which his too intricate for me to sketch on Artrage without it looking a bit hand made.

Is there any way of me pulling up an image from the internet and putting it onto a tracing later and have a stencil created automatically from that?

I know its a long shot, but basically i want to create a stencil of the image below. Any thoughts? Anyone?! Not sure whether its possible.

Thanks you lovely helpful bunch!

Dawn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 20.41.31.png 
Views:	226 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	94481  

basically i want to create a stencil of the image below.
    Do as I just did - save image and then open Stencil pod and Import Stencil to a group of your choosing.

Name:  stencil.JPG
Views: 538
Size:  18.1 KB
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Stencils are all just image files, so you can load any picture as a stencil - you might want to tidy it up in ArtRage to get the exact shape you want, but other than that just import the image as a new stencil and you will be set. Some versions of ArtRage will let you turn any layer into a stencil, others will require you to export the layer/image and save it, and then import that image through the stencils menu.

Note:

Stencils should be black and white, or grayscale. Black will be empty, white will be the masked area of the stencil, and you can right click and invert it if you get it the wrong way around.

Grayscale will allow you to paint semi transparent strokes. If the image is not perfectly black and white then the stencil may be slightly transparent as well.

If you don't want a small frame around the shape and want to block out the entire canvas except for one shape then just make a very large stencil with an empty white background the size of your canvas.