Thread: Lost Canvas and Docking Set-up after "recovery"

Lost Canvas and Docking Set-up after "recovery"

Windows 10 system.

Forgot to "close" ArtRage 5 when I shut down the Pc. After a restart ArtRage opened with the recovery option. Lost my entire docking set-up as well as my default canvas settings.

This has happened twice and is VERY inconvenient to set everything up again. It makes no sense that something like a transitory shut-down or crash can change permanent set-ups, which I would assume are saved somewhere "safe".

How can these settings can change just because of an unexpected shut-down... what is going on? Is there a work around?

It sounds like your preferences aren't being saved. Your preferences are saved when you close ArtRage, did you close and reopen the program in between the shut downs? (if not, it may never have had a chance to save anything).

Yes. A few times. Docking set up and default canvas reappear each time I open ArtRage. They only get lost when I see the recovery message.

Is there any way to protect myself from this? Some kind of backup or save I could do that won't get corrupted or lost in a crash?

Okay, it looks like this relates to Windows 10, how it saves the preference file, and how it likes to reopen whatever you last had open when you shut the computer down. I don't know if it's fixable, but we'll be looking into it.

In the meantime, if this is something that really inconveniences you, look for the 'artrage5.prs' file in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Ambient Design\ArtRage - this is where all your preferences are saved. Copy that somewhere and just copy it back to that folder if you lose your settings.

Thank you! A workaround for insurance while things are being looked into is perfect. Much appreciated!