Page 59 of 72 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Finger Paintings!

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Weatherford View Post
    I’m into October right now. If I could muster 3 a day for a couple weeks I’d be caught up...but then I get stuck on one for a few days so I tend to lose the ground I gain with a surge.

I feel like I have already learned a lot just pumping through these...if I am a stronger artist at the end I will be very happy!
    I have found that it's the attention one pays that determines the benefit level. I have done it both ways, just to accomplish something in a very relaxed way even letting my mind drift compared to freaking out that I was going to lose a job for example, and the latter I'm sorry to say was where the big jumps ahead came to me. Would that it were the other way around, but at least for me, that's where it proved to me a benefit I didn't expect.

So, for what it's worth, my humble recommendation is to not do it for matching a personal quota, although that's good too. But I have a feeling that the ones where you had to really focus to be where the real sharpness in problem solving would pay off. Besides it would probably be more satisfying anyway -- you know, mountains climbed and all that.

Have fun too! For an artist all that is the real meat of the process I would think. . . unless of course you're a vegetarian.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by gxhpainter View Post
    Hi Chad sorry for the late reply, but yes I painted traditionally for nearly 35 years ( but the last twenty have just been digital work ) with all types of media, acrylics, oils, watercolor and gouache. I especially liked gouache as you can quickly build up layers of color much like acrylic or oils but much faster of course. I also like to use a medium with it, consisting of an egg yolk pricked so only the yolk drained out and i discarded the yolk sac. Then mixed in a little distilled water and a drop of white vinegar. This gave the paint a beautiful satin sheen. Let me know when you try them out!!.
    That’s an interesting mixture with the yoke and vinegar ..would the egg yoke hasten the drying as well? That stuff is sticky!

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    I have found that it's the attention one pays that determines the benefit level. I have done it both ways, just to accomplish something in a very relaxed way even letting my mind drift compared to freaking out that I was going to lose a job for example, and the latter I'm sorry to say was where the big jumps ahead came to me. Would that it were the other way around, but at least for me, that's where it proved to me a benefit I didn't expect.

So, for what it's worth, my humble recommendation is to not do it for matching a personal quota, although that's good too. But I have a feeling that the ones where you had to really focus to be where the real sharpness in problem solving would pay off. Besides it would probably be more satisfying anyway -- you know, mountains climbed and all that.

Have fun too! For an artist all that is the real meat of the process I would think. . . unless of course you're a vegetarian.
    Ah I’ve reached a certain fatigue with these but they are still mostly fun to do. I do agree (which is what I think you are saying) that the pressure cooker makes me learn faster. The ones I get stuck on and have to eventually force out usually result in failures...at least in my mind. Even though I initially run circles in a vain effort to keep them from failing, those turn into even more useful lessons.

Sketched some gargoyles high up on the Fairmont Hotel in downtown Vancouver.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B56B861B-80F9-4FF1-AC6A-0050F70A20E3.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	395.5 KB 
ID:	96572  

At the boatyard on Granville Island.

Name:	E97AF841-02C6-49DF-B526-DD111E2DBEA4.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	423.1 KB 
ID:	96573  

Became obsessed with an earthy, dusty corner at the Shore Equestrian during a break in my daughters horse riding lessons.

Name:	77B71BFC-AE1E-4CBF-BA4D-E814623F85A0.jpeg 
Views:	146 
Size:	483.7 KB 
ID:	96574  

Little sci fi scene that went from Ipad ArtRage to desktop and back.

Name:	44F3C371-F237-4040-9E11-297F29F38CF4.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	290.7 KB 
ID:	96621  

Back to a terrestrial study of some Granville Island seagulls

Name:	BF9D93C2-4CC6-421D-8D67-6875B7A78487.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	340.5 KB 
ID:	96622  

Scene from our deck last year

Name:	E188E478-EDF1-467A-9DDF-BED2367156CF.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	96623  

Looking good. Hard to imagine you getting tired of chronicling your travels. If it's like I've known it, there are plenty of pockets of down time and this is a very productive and pleasurable way to fill in the blank spaces. Go go go!!!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream